We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

Newcastle-upon-Tyne...
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

We are off to Sri Lanka on Thursday for a 7 day tour/7 days on the beach. On tour we have one morning where we have a choice of a visit to Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest. Has anyone been to both and which one would you recommend?

Minneriya Tusker Safaris
Forests, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Off-Road & ATV Trails
Riverstone Gap
Forests, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Galway's Land National Park
Forests, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks
Bussels
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

Hi,

Udawattakele is a nature reserve where you can have an early morning walk to see birds and have enjoy nature. Peradeniya is a botanic garden with a large collection of trees and plants. So it is up to you to decide which you prefer.

Frank.

Sussex England
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

Haven't been to the forest but I can assure you that if you like gardens then the Peradeniya garden is magnificent. Don't miss the Orchid house and allow at least half a day, we only had a couple of hours and that was nowhere near long enough.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

And if you go to Peradeniya, don't miss the huge number of giant bats (Flying Foxes) that roost in the trees in one area of the garden - there are hundreds of them there. If you whack a palm leaf on the ground nearby to make a noise (as one local did whilst we were there), they all take to the air. Magnificent sight.

Sue

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

Hi,

If you have only one choice i personally beleive that it should be the Peradeniya Botanical garden simply because it has much more to see than Udawatte kale. But i think you could do both.If you start early nature walk at udawattekale you can finish it by 8 am and then go to Peradeniya garden.

Nishantha

london
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

Peradeniya Botanical gardens sound wonderful. Are they a tuk-tuk drive away from Kandy centre? Don't suppose anybody knows opening and closing times do they?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,604 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

Yep they are, around 10-15 mins on the main Peradeniya roads. Generally opening times of these kinds of parks in Lanka are 8 AM to 6-7 PM.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

london
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

Thanks Erik.

I remember seeing those fruit bats for the first time at this park many years ago. What a surprise it was!

Just added it to my itinerary again!

Chris

Newcastle-upon-Tyne...
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

Hey - thanks for all the helpful replies! We have to make a choice (we can't do both)and I think Peradeniya Gardens is coming out on top.

9. Re: Peradeniya Gardens or Udawattekele Forest??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 07:17