We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how easy is it to get around x

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
how easy is it to get around x

please help me on this one

i am all set to go to Sri Lanka but my other half is having major doubts

i have mentioned that it is safe to go ( read all previous posts ) but he still has some major concerns that we will be isolated where we are

We will ( i hope ) be staying in bentota not decided yet but there abouts.

How easy is it to get around once we are there, on what mode of transport and what are the costs like

i think he thinks he is going to be bored and that their will not be much to do please help me guys

thanks so much guys x

x m

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,771 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how easy is it to get around x

Hi there,

With car/driver, which will cost you something like 20 pence per km (one-way, multiply by 2) so really far below UK prices, you can reach many many places. Near Bentota there are already at least 2-3 nice day trips, and for other sites you need to travel a bit further - up to long days or sometimes even multi-day trips. Public transport (train) is also decent, lots cheaper than car, but solely suitable for the coastal excursions not for the other directions.

Hope this helps as a start,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how easy is it to get around x

Hi m,

For local transport lots of tuk-tuks will be available. They will be parked outside your hotel and several other places in the area. Always agree on the price before you get in, and be prepared for a bit of bargaining. Going rate should be about LKR 25-30/km (remember if you get dropped somewhere the tuk-tuk has to go back empty to his stand and will charge for that too), shorter trips tend to be a bit more expensive.

Longer trips (day trips/multiday trips) are best done by ac car/van. Price should be about LKR 6000-7000/day incl 100km.

Trains are safe to use up to Panadura and down to Matara (cheapest transport in SL). Not all trains stop at Bentota, so for most express trains you will have to catch it from Aluthgama.

Hans

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how easy is it to get around x

Thanks so much for your speedy response... i have come across quite a few useful posts today which i think my other halfs mind at rest

thanks lots x

quick question i am going to put another post on about the royal palms hotel have you ever stayed there and if so whats it like ? we was looking at the taj exotica but just read its the most expensive of all the hotels

thanks in advance

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how easy is it to get around x

Hi m,

Royal Palms Beach Hotel? That is in Waskaduwa - 25 km north of Bentota; so should give you shorter transfer from the airport.

Advice about transport should also be valid for that area.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how easy is it to get around x

Hi M

Royal Palms Hotel actually closer to Kalutara, but beside the point here i guess, i will be there with 6 other famnily members at end of this month, i do recommend this hotel as a VERY good 5 star All Inclusive hotel, very clean, comfy and great sevice too.

But.. still around 20 to 25 minutes from Bentota tho !

Regards

Dave

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how easy is it to get around x

cheers everyone

we have not booked our hotel yet but out of all of them the palms looks really nice and travelguy cheers for all your help have a great holiday so jealous. x m

7. Re: how easy is it to get around x

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 08:20