We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health Advice

Keighley, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Health Advice

I'm currently in Sri Lanka (Negombo) and, following a bout of food poisoning and antibiotics, I need to buy a thrush treatment from the chemist. Can anyone tell me...

1. Can this type of medicine be bought over the counter in Sri Lanka?

2. What should I ask for? In the UK I would ask for Canestan, but I'm not sure whether this is a universal name or just the brand in the UK...

I also need some rash cream (Bepanthan or similar) - any advice on what to ask for?

Help much appreciated as I am in a fair amount of discomfort!

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health Advice

Hi there.....

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but don't worry too much ok.

Pop along to the local Pharmacy and talk to them, they are really good and helpful in cases like yours, and many others.

Most branded names that you are used to here in UK will have another name there in Lanka, but will do the same job.

Good luck, and please don't be affraid or shy to talk to the local Pharmacist, they are lovely people and only too willing to help where they can.

Keighley, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health Advice

I went to the pharmacy this morning and managed to get something. Hopefully I'll be feeling better soon.

Thanks for your advice :o)

3. Re: Health Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 09:29
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question