We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping / trekking / national parks

wales
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Camping / trekking / national parks

Hello!

I am going to Sri Lanka in May, and wondered if anyone has had experience of camping in Sri Lanka, in the national parks. We are hoping to visit world's end / horton plains and Uda Walawe parks. We have our own camping equipment but any general advice on campsites in these areas and how to access them, would be great.

Thanks

Nia

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping / trekking / national parks

Hi Nia,

In horton place and Udawalawe park camping is allowd as far as i know. But you have to obtain prior approval and they will provide you a tracker to stay with you while you are camping in the park for your safety.

Also there are companies like Eco Team organize camping in National parks. In this case they will do everything.

Nishantha

wales
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping / trekking / national parks

Thanks alot for that info, we'd rather go independantly than with a tour company, but am sure that hiring a guide will be vital i would have thought - we don't want to get lost!!!

Do you know the easiest way to access the parks by public transport?

Thanks again

Nia

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,384 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping / trekking / national parks

Hi Nia,

Horton Plains entrance is about 5 km from the Eliya-Bandarawela railway line. So probably best to take train (no map nearby, otherwise I'd be able to pinpoint the right station) and arrange pickup there by the company arranging your tents etc.

UW would need a long-distance bus (e.g. from Ella-Bandarawela or from Matara) plus local buses; there are different entrances so doublecheck what the meeting point would be. Note that all buses have strict luggage limitations, suitcases and larger backpacks are often already too much.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping / trekking / national parks

Hi,

I've got my map handy.

Ohiya is the best station for Hortons Plains. About 1 1/4 hours train journey south of Nanu Oya ( the station that serves Newara Eliya).

I agree comopletely with Erik about luggage on a bus. I've done many journeys with my back pack balanced on my knees. Anything more that the back pack wouldn't have been manageable.

Rod.

wales
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping / trekking / national parks

Thanks guys

I'm now more convinced than ever that I need to go and halve the stuff in my backpack... SL is the first stop on a 7 month trip so its really really hard packing minimally! On a plus side backpack on the knees could serve as an airbag in case of dodgy bus accident?!

I'd much prefer to use public transport, but if at some point its looking impossible, how easy / much is it to hire a driver once you're there, for a one way trip from one town to another for example? I know it probably depends on the distance but as an example say we needed to get from Matara on the South coast to Embilipitiya near Uda Walawe?

Thanks loads

Nia

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,384 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping / trekking / national parks

Hi again Nia,

Quite easy. Count on about Rs 55-60 per km for one-way rides, as the car needs to calculate for an empty return.

Upto Rod to spot the exact Matara-Embilipitiya distance on his map, from the top of my head I'd say 80-100 km (also because last time we did this trip in 2-2.5 hours).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

7. Re: Camping / trekking / national parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 17:20