We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrack

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Arrack

Hi everyone,

Here's a stupid question someone may be able to help with: I just got back to the UK from SL today, and my prized purchase was a bottle of DCSL Green Label Double Distilled Arrack, the flavour of many a long night's conversation in SL.

As I was pushing my trolley through the airport on arrival - guess what? the bag containing the precious liquid fell on to the tiled floor and bottle smashed - all gone!

What I want to know is can I replace this bottle anywhere in the UK - I've combed the net for suppliers but I can't find one in the UK - anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrack

Hi Mopezone.

You can buy them in Tooting Broadway, UK. There are many sri lankan shops there. you can buy from them for between 10-15 pounds.

Shehan

london
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrack

im on my way to sri lanka this week, I normally drink vodka but have heard it can be a little pricy compared to there own branded drink, so can you tell me what arrack is like? what do you drink it with and should i only get certain brands as heard really cheap arrack can be horrible?

many thanks

Emjay

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrack

Hi Emjay,

There is locally produced vodka in Sri Lanka. The off licenses are closed today (New Year) so I can't get the brand names and prices, but a bottle (750 ml) will cost less than LKR 1000 (GBP 6).

Arrack is produced from coconut toddy which is extracted from the coconut flower, fermented and distilled. The cheaper brands have quite a lot of neutral spirits added. The taste is something like a mixture of whisky, brandy and rum. It can be mixed with nearly any soft drink, e.g. Sprite, Coke, Ginger Beer, Ginger Ale, Soda, Tonic etc.

The cheapest arrack is LKR 525 a bottle. The most popular brand is Extra Special also called Gal (stone) cost LKR 575 a bottle. It gives your breath a bad smell. Premium arrack cost around LKR 700 a bottle. My preferred brand is Black Opal. It has a round and smooth taste and you can even drink it pure like a brandy.

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrack

Hi,

Seems I have the same taste as Hans, I also like Black Opal arrack.

As he said, the cheaper ones are not good and probably best kept for DIY jobs, such as paint stripping .

I can't remember the other names of the good ones , after finding a really good Arrack, after drinking it I seem to forget things , can't understand why but I know the " Very Special Old Arrack " is good.

I sometimes drink it neat and sometimes with Coke .

Rod.

london
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrack

thanks Hans and Rod im am looking forward to my arrack experience! will def look out for the black opal and give it a go

again many thanks

Emjay

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrack

Well, as I suggested when I started the thread, my favourite is the DCSL Green Label Double Distilled Arrack, which costs around 750 rupees in a supermarket in Sri Lanka, and is quite smooth.

I prefer to drink it over ice with Sprite (lemonade) and a slice of lime, which also seems to be the favourite of Sri Lankan friends!

I'm still wishing I hadn't smashed my bottle, as it's a long long way to Tooting Broadway!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrack

Hi,

I checked the local off license this afternoon. They had 4 brands of vodka.

A friend that works as a barman recommended s brand called Petroff - cost LKR 895 for a 750 ml bottle.

Smirnoff is produced on license in Sri Lanka - cost LKR 1500 for a 750 ml bottle.

Hans

london
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrack

Thanks all for your replys I have taken note!

Just another quick question if any of you are smokers I am aware you can take no more than 2 open packets of 20 into the county, I smoke mayfair smooth or b&h lights, I cant stand malborough lights so can any one suggest something similar?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arrack

My Sri Lankan mates smoke a local brand called Players Gold Leaf, which they describe as being 'like Silk Cut', but I'm not a smoker so I wouldn't really know!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arrack

Hi Emjay,

As far as I remember B&H lights are not available, only Dunhill Lights and Ultra Lights and Pall Mall Lights. I will re-check tomorrow and give you an up-to-date answer.

Hans