We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Tour Operators - Has anyone used Ceylon Travels?

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Local Tour Operators - Has anyone used Ceylon Travels?

We are planning our first trip to Sri Lanka and not sure whether to go through tour operator or arrange it independently. We were given name of Ceylon Travels by a colleague but don't know much about them, does anyone else? From what I have researched, hotel prices vary hugely (their own website often being more expensive) so it feels a bit daunting organising it all ourselves.

We would appreciate any advice.

Sarah

nuneaton
Level Contributor
633 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Tour Operators - Has anyone used Ceylon Travels?

hi sarAh i have jst been qouted £130 for trip to kandy fro m bentota 3star overnight stay (£35 B B EXTRA) and full day tour on way backpm me if you nee d more info ..ps where are u staying , dave and jan

london
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Tour Operators - Has anyone used Ceylon Travels?

Hi !

Don't know if they are good now. I found a nice company and have done several tours with them. they give a very good service and have fair prices as well as good drivers and cars. send a PM if you want contact them.

Cheers !

Richard.

3. Re: Local Tour Operators - Has anyone used Ceylon Travels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 23:05
Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Tour Operators - Has anyone used Ceylon Travels?

Hi sarah....

It is excellent boutique option located over 4000 feet in a tea country near hatton .they got over 100 years old 4 different bungalows. Also serve very nice meals by your own chef . best bungalow is castlereigh . please do contacted following mail address then you can have relevant info.

Manager@testrails.com

www.teatrail.com

www.srilankainstyle .com

best and cheapest way is just book only accommodation by them then find your own free lance drive .

thanks you,

ind

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Tour Operators - Has anyone used Ceylon Travels?

Hi Sarah

I went to Sri Lanka in June 2008 for 2 weeks and organized my ground arrangements ( airport pickups, hotels on half board basis & sight seeing ) through a local tour operator based in Colombo. The full cost of the tour was paid upfront upon my arrival in Colombo and at their Colombo office. The arrangements were faultless and the driver friendly and helpful.

I can safely say that I paid alot LESS going through a tour operator.

Hope this helps

James

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Tour Operators - Has anyone used Ceylon Travels?

Sarah, There is a vast range of holiday types in Sri Lanka and it really depends on what you want to spend. Certainly, if it is your first time, I would say use a tour operator. To get an idea of what is on offer look at this website: http://www.srilanka.travel/2for1/ This is a site for 2 for 1 offers which apply until the end of June but even if you are going later it will give you a good idea of what sort of thing the main tour operators offer. I would suggest that you try to do some sort of tour which can be combined with a beach resort stay. You could also look at Red Dot Tours (www.reddottours.com) a British owned, Sri lanka based company offering tailor made packages. I now use them all the time. Even if you decide to go with a UK based tour company the Red Dot website is excellent for looking at detailed descriptions and photos of hotels and guest houses. Red Dot will make a package for you with flights, accommodation and transport with car and driver but they may work out a little more expensive than mainstream UK companies. However it is worth giving them a try - you get a dedicated rep. who is based in Colombo and really knows Sri Lanka and you can have as much input as you like into your package. I'm constantly in touch with them for my next visit in June, tweaking things here and there - they probably think i'm a flaming nuisance but never say so! Having lived and worked in Sri Lanka in the past I feel very confident that Red Dot know what they are doing. I tend to go for top end accommodation these days but it does not have to be so and you can get very good places for relatively low prices in Sri Lanka these days. For real bargains I guess the main contenders are unbeatable but it is useful to be able to see in detail what you are signing up for and the Red Dot site is good for this, even if you don't use them. One final point, a lot of the tour and beach packages offer Negombo as the beach resort which personally I would not choose. It is quite commercial and the beach is not that clean. Go for something south of Colombo, altogether better in my opinion. Good luck.

uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Tour Operators - Has anyone used Ceylon Travels?

Don't know anything about Ceylon Travels, but we have recently returned from Sri Lanka and a fantastic tailor made tour, and we used Tangerine Tours, again, a local company based in Colombo. You can find them on the web, just email them with what you are looking for and they will respond with what I should imagine will be a very competitive quote.

Hope this helps

8. Re: Local Tour Operators - Has anyone used Ceylon Travels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2009, 06:45