We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buddhism

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buddhism

Hi

I am going to Sri Lanka in the summer and I would like to learn a little more Buddhism and the Buddha statue before I go. Could anyone give a simple overview of the relgion and some tips on do's and dont's so I don't disrepect the religion but mistake.

thanks

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buddhism

Ok .. keeping it very simple.

When you visit a Buddhist temple, make sure you are wearing clothing which covers your shoulders and knees. Take your shoes off before entering the temple complex .. if you are not sure where to remove them, just ask or watch other people.

Photography is not always allowed ... always check first, and photographing yourself with an image of Buddha is only permitted if you are facing Buddha .. NEVER turn your back on a statue or image for a photograph.

Hope this helps a bit!

Sue

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buddhism

Hi,

If you like to read a bit about Buddhism you can follow the following link.

http://uqconnect.net/slsoc/bsq/basbud.htm

Nishantha

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buddhism

Hi,

Also you have to remove any headgear before entering a temple.

Here is a brief introduction to the meanings of Buddha statues:

answerbag.com/articles/Meanings-of-Different…

You can google much more info on Buddhism and Buddha Statues.

Hans

in Aluthgama on an overcast but still hot morning

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buddhism

thanks, that all makes it a bit clearer

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buddhism

Learnt a lot about Buddhism on our first visit in 2003, by simply having a local (buddhist) guide for a 3 day tour. He is a normal local tourist board sanctioned guide, who lives with his family a normal SL life, but he was a very good guide, ex-SL RAF, with excellent English, who gave us an insight into many aspects of life in SL. We've stayed in touch and use him as a guide each time we visit and need a driver. If you want a contact email, PM me

Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buddhism

We would be grateful if you could let us know more about the driver/guide for our holiday there at the beginning of September. Where is the chap based, what are the costs and could you send us an email address?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buddhism

Hi,

Try these two articles which will give you further insight in to Buddhism in SL. I think they will be useful since you are hoping to learn a bit about Buddhism too.

In case you wanna try staying at a monastery the guide will help you to choose one.

buddhanet.net/sacred-island/hints-for-pilgri…

bps.lk/other_library/…20Lanka.pdf.

Enjoy the trip,

metta.

chan

8. Re: Buddhism

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2010, 06:17