We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuktuk or taxis?

Orpington
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tuktuk or taxis?

Hi there,

I am not familiar with Tuktuk.

I guess they are better for short distance and much cheaper?

What would you consider the maximum distanceto ask for a Tuktuk rather than a taxi?

Any other information I should know? Would an insurance cover for a tuktuk accident?

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions!

Gaelle

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuktuk or taxis?

Hi Gaelle,

You can get info on tuk tuks here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_rickshaw

95% of the tuk tuks in Sri Lanka are Bajaj. Newer tuk tuks are 4-stroke.

Tuk tuks have a maximum speed of 50 km/h, but Sri Lanka they are only allowed to go maximum 40 km/h.

They are quite comfortable for 2 and have 100% natural air condition.

I quite often go from Aluthgama to Kalutara (18 km), Kosgoda (16 km) and Ambalangoda (25 km). I have even gone to Galle (53 km) in a tuk tuk.

Yes, travel insurance for a tuk tuk accident. Tuk tuk are registered.

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuktuk or taxis?

HI gaellea,

How far in a tuk tuk ?.

Depends on the individual. I'm happy to travel many miles in one, I love them. I've got a friend who lives in Kandy and earns his living driving a tuk tuk. He regularly gets commissions to take travellers as far as Dambulla, Sigirya and the elephant orphage.

Other prople would blanche at doing a couple of kilometres or with some, even getting into one.

I'd happily drive all around the island in a tuk tuk.

And yes, they are cheaper than taxi,s but also slower and not so comfortable.

Insurance, I've never had to test it but as the tuk tuk. or Trishaw as I think it should be called is recognised as a legitimate for of transport I can't see how the insurance company could argueagainst it, unless they could prove that in some way the vehicle was defective.

Rod.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuktuk or taxis?

As for prices:

Tuktuk for a one-way ride Rs 20/km is ideal (local price). Taxi for same Rs 55-60 per km. For return calculate with about 110-120% of the one-way price unless they need to wait hours and hours; in the one-way price a high chance of an empty return is already included.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuktuk or taxis?

Hi there...

Tuk Tuk, Threewheeler, Trishaw?, all the same but different names, to me it depends not only on distance to travel but also whether it is night or day, if night time then for safety i would use a taxi, day time then a Tuk Tuk, Threewheeler, Trishaw all the time, great fun and you haven't been to Sri Lanka unless you have travelled in one, great fum when tipping it down too !

"Most" Tuk Tuks are insured, as requireed by law if taking fare paying passengers, and if so will have the insurance sticker on inside of windscreen, along with license plate number too !

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuktuk or taxis?

Insurance sticker on inside of windscreen? I don't think I have ever seen that. Do you mean the round sticker? That's vehicle tax.

All registered (having a number plate) vehicles need to have minimum 3rd party coverage to travel on the roads.

Insurance covering passengers is rare for tuk tuks. And if they have, the compensation is "peanuts" compared to European insurances. Compensation is case of death is typically LKR 100,000 (GBP 570).

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuktuk or taxis?

Hi Hans...

That's why i put "Most", not suggesting that all Tuk Tuks would have this, only saying what i have seen on the ones i use out there !

Agree with you that amount of insurance is peanuts compared with what we would expect in UK or Europe, but then 1 Lahk Rupees is a lot of money for local Lankans !

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuktuk or taxis?

Dave

Insurance sticker on inside of windscreen? What do they look like?

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuktuk or taxis?

Blimey Hans...

Ok, one i remember is a yellow triangular one, i can call to make sure ?

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tuktuk or taxis?

Sorry, if I upset you, Dave. Your post just made me curious.

Hans

Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tuktuk or taxis?

hi

round thing what your talking about is VEHICLE REVENUE LICENCE usually sri lankan drivers stick the photo copy of that top of windscreen to easy recognize when the stop by police. But shape of insurance certificate variance to the insurance company .

thanks,

ind