We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

essex
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

staying at club hotel dolphin 21st july 14 nights - what is the easiest and most acceptable payment methods for tips trips etc

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

Hi,

Payment for tips and trips should me made in cash with Rupees.

Bring Sterling in cash or travellers' cheques and change at banks (airport on arrival, Negombo etc.). Hotels always give you a lousy exchange rate.

Plastic is only accepted at hotels and larger shops.

Don't change your Sterling to Dollars!! Only the bank/money changer will profit from that.

Hans

essex
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

thanks Hans for the tips you are very helpful!

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

We changed cash up at the airport - the banks are very easy to find as you arrive - and got 178 rupees to the pound, but having paid cash for some very nice birthday earings we needed a top up and got 175 to the pound from the Dolphin. I don't think that's bad for the convenience, and certainly not worth going into Negumbo in order to get a better rate.

MissF

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

we stayed at the dolphin 5th may, we just took sterling cash. there is a cashiers office that is open from 8.00 am until 10.00pm every day. This is also where the safe deposit boxes are.

Lois

essex
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

thats great - thanks everyone! cant wait to get there - we only have seven weeks to go.....

Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

Hi

Read on one or two threads now not to bother with USD. Why is there a problem with it? My husband has got some USD to take with us. Should we change it back to GBP?

Cheers

Vicki

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

Hi,

The advise is - and always been - don't change your Pounds to Dollars to change to Rupees. Every time you change you loose a bit (buying rate versus selling rate and commission).

If you already have Dollars there is no need to change back to Pounds. Take them to Sri Lanka and change them in to Rupees there. The Rupee is more or less tied to Dollars and the rate for cash is nearly always around 112 Rupees for 1 Dollar.

Hans

Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

Thanks Hans :)

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

We changed our Sterling Traveller's Cheques at the hotel (didn't want to take passport to Negombo) and got anything from 178 - 184 while we were there

Changed one at the bank at Colombo Airport and got 185 so wasn't disappointed at all with the exchange rate at the hotel

essex
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rupees, dollars, travellers cheques or plastic

Went to the post office today to order travellers cheques and thought I would share this information with you all....

If I ordered british sterling travellers cheques I had to at 17% commission!!! And don't forget that when changing up travellers cheques you are charged commission then as well.

I asked how this could be possible and the lady said that I could have US dollars TC's with NO commission but would still pay commission when changing them up. So realistically, you can't win - you will have to pay commission no matter which way you do it. Seems unfair to me. Anyway, thought people might like to know because we didn't!!

We have decided to take sterling in cash and change at the airport in Colombo and then just put it in the hotel safe and use as we need it!

What a parlarva!!

Too late to open a Nationwide account which wont charge commission or transaction fees for getting money out of ATMs. Abbey charge loads about 27% !