We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

72 Hour Sri Lanka Stopover: Galle, Kandy or ???

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
72 Hour Sri Lanka Stopover: Galle, Kandy or ???

I am stoping over in Sri Lanka for 72 hours for the weekend of June 18.

I am traveling alone and want to go somewhere interesting to explore. Given the short time frame (and south west monsoon season), am I stuck in Columbo, or do you recommend Galle or Kandy?

I have a decent budget for the trip. Should I take a driver/guide to get the most of my stopover. I would love to go somewhere that I can return to with my wife. THANKS

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,119 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 72 Hour Sri Lanka Stopover: Galle, Kandy or ???

Hi there,

Due to the first intermonsson, esp. on the coast, and the prority of SL sights I'd go for Kandy, sure. From there many local sights, including Pinawela on the way from/to airport, but also optionally day trips to Sigiriya Rock and Eliya/tea area. Best to have driver for these 3 days, yes.

Have fun,

Erik + Sandya

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 72 Hour Sri Lanka Stopover: Galle, Kandy or ???

Hi,

Definitely hire a car and driver. Using public transport is very slow so a car would enable you to see so much more.

Get picked up at the airport, drive direct to Sigirya,, via Pinawella if you like elephants,, overnight near Sigirya.,

In the morning,climb Sigirya, then on to Dambulla cave Temples,then on to and overnight in Kandy.

In the evening visit the Temple of the Tooth.

Next day drive south through part of

the hill country and return to the airport by a roundabout route , so you see some of the scenery.

I'm sure, after seeing just a little, you'll want to return.

Rod.

Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 72 Hour Sri Lanka Stopover: Galle, Kandy or ???

Hi

Hire driver will be me much easier as you get 72 Hrs in sri lanka .go directly to kandy your will be able to see pinnawala elephant orphanage , kandy tooth temple, sigiriya and dambulla cave temple.

Thanks you,

ind

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 72 Hour Sri Lanka Stopover: Galle, Kandy or ???

yep ,definitely kandy.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 72 Hour Sri Lanka Stopover: Galle, Kandy or ???

Hi,

Yes it would Kandy and few of Cultural triangle to explore a bit about Sri Lanka.

Nishantha

6. Re: 72 Hour Sri Lanka Stopover: Galle, Kandy or ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 07:18