We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on roundtrip route

Frankfurt, Germany
14 posts
Save Topic
Advice on roundtrip route

Hi,

I am going to stay in Kalutara and Colombo in July for one week. After that week me and my boyfriend would like to go on a roundtrip. The places to go are:

Kandy

Sigiriya

Anuradhapura - Mihintale

Polonnaruwa

and maybe Minneriya and Dambulla

We have 7 days for the roundtrip, we will start the trip in Colombo and on day 7 I have to go back to the airport.

What is your suggestion where to start and where to end and do you know a good clean guesthouse in the Habarana area?

I understand that Habarana is a good place to stay for visiting Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa and Dambulla.

I heard also from Kandy we could visit all the other places but I cannot drive in Sri Lanka myself, I'm too much afraid of the traffic there and I never learned to drive left-side and my boyfriend who will be the driver said he thinks it is too far to drive everyday to another place from Kandy.

I have been to Sri Lanka 5 times before, so I know already many places along the West coast and along the South coast, and also the places Ella, Hakgala, Nuwara Eliya, Adams Peak, Kandy, Peradeniya, Tissamaharama, Bundala national park I've been visiting before. That is why we chose for the cultural triangle this time.

I hope someone can give me a good advice!

Thanks in advance!

Maimoona

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on roundtrip route

Hi,

Is your boyfriend Sri Lankan? Otherwise self drive in Sri Lanka is suicidal. Search the forum to find opinions on self drive in Sri Lanka.

7 days is plenty of time to visit the places you mention and Habarana is a good base for the Cultural Triangle.

Hans

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on roundtrip route

yes self drive is not so normal here but last year i travelled with a german couple who had hired an old but good toyota in colombo for a very good price and they spent a month driving all over the country with no problems at all.personally i wouldnt do it and you need to be a very confidant and really good driver and know what to do when you see a bus coming towards you on youre side of the road.im quite happy using trains busses and the odd taxi

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on roundtrip route

Hi Maimoona.

There is a good place to stay in Habarana.

ACME Guesthouse

Tel : 066-2270280 / 0788-753445

Email : acmetran@sltnet.lk

They have very good Sri lankan and Western food.

If you are doing a 7 day tour, You can stay in Habarana and do the tour or can stay in the guesthouses in those areas.

Shehan

Frankfurt, Germany
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on roundtrip route

Dear all,

Thank you for your advice. I never would drive myself in Sri Lanka and also not advice someone to do it, but yes, my boyfriend is a local living and working in Colombo and he will drive the car.

Did anyone of you here about the grand tourist holiday resort in Sigiriya?

Greetings,

Maimoona

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on roundtrip route

Hi,

The Grand Tourist Resort in Sigirya is a great place.

Rooms , all en-suite are modern, well furnished and comfortable. Set in a lovely garden with open country side at the front and rear.

You often wake there to the peacocks calling as they roost in the trees at the front of the rooms.

Not allways the peacocks that wake you though. It's sometimes the staff boys as they chase away the occasional wild elephant that wanders in.

Restaraunt is excellent and big part of it being a comfortable lounge, bar area.

Ideal place for touring the Sigirya, Polonorua, Habarana areas.

Contact details are,

The Grand Tourist Holiday Resort,

Sigirya Road,

Galkotuwa Pothana,

Kimbissa.

Tel; +94-(0)-777049116

Rod.

Frankfurt, Germany
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on roundtrip route

Hi Rod B,

Do you remember the price you paid for a room at the Grand Tourist Resort Sigiriya?

Thanks and greets,

Maimoona

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on roundtrip route

Hi Maimoona,

Sorry, I'm not too sure. I stay only in guest houses and move about to much I tend to forget which one cost what.

From the murky depths of my memory I seem to recall something just over 2000 rupees for a double room, including breakfasts. Maybe 2500 but I can't be too sure.

One thing I can be sure of, it's excellent value for money and it's not too expensive or I wouldn't stay there.

Rod

Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on roundtrip route

Hi Maimoona.

That was about 3000 RS double room including breakfast .

Thanks,

ind

9. Re: Advice on roundtrip route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2009, 05:32