We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Galle to Kandy?

gloucestershire
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Route from Galle to Kandy?

We are travelling to Sri Lanka in Late July. We are staying in Galle at a friends house and then making our way to Kandy. We plan travelling from Galle to Tangalle, staying 2 nights, then travelling on to Nuwara Eliya for one night before finally travelling to Kandy.

My question......does this sound a good way to split up the long journey between Galle and Kandy. Any suggestions gratefully received! Also I guess hiring a driver is the best way too!

Thank you.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,453 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Galle to Kandy?

Hi there,

It's about 6 hours through Colombo and 8-9 hours in your, much more scenic, option. In that one consider breaking in Ella or Haputale instead of Eliya, more nice...

Regards,

Erik + Sandya

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Galle to Kandy?

Hi there

Yes, I'd say this was a really good route. The beaches along the south coast are wonderful and then you have the complete contrast of the fabulous tea plantations, mountains and waterfalls of the hillcountry before reaching Kandy.

We have done this journey several times, and break the journey from the south coast to the hillcountry by staying a night or two at Kataragama, which is one of the most fascinating pilgrimage towns in Sri Lanka, especially at evening puja time .. and is also a good base for a Yala safari.

Hiring a driver is obviously the easiest way to get from A to B, but using a combination of buses and trains for this part of Sri Lanka is easy too. Buses run regularly along the south coast road (or train from Galle to Matara and bus to Tangalle from there)and you can get one to Kataragama with no trouble either. Buses are less frequent from Kataragama to the hillcountry, but once at Ella, you can catch the train for one of the most beautiful train trips you will ever do in your life, through the hillcountry and all the way to Kandy. Even if you hire a driver, it would be worth suggesting he works in a train journey for you and meets you at the other end.

I would not stay at Nuwara Eliya through choice as it is a cold and ugly town. Better to stay at Ella or Haputale and then travel to Kandy from there.

Sue

gloucestershire
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Galle to Kandy?

Hi

Thank you for the informstion we will look into the two towns you suggest.

Thank you

singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Route from Galle to Kandy?

Hi,

Thank you for posting this question; I've found the replies really useful for the preparation I'm doing for my own trip!

In fact, my friend and I will be backpacking in Sri Lanka this coming weekend 3-6 July 09, but we have not been able to find any information on the inland train between Kandy and Galle (although several travel blogs have hinted at one?). Is there any information on the internet that we may refer to? Or what is the best way to make this journey, short of hiring a driver?

We hope to do the coastal route north from Galle to Colombo but would really love to travel across the hill country too.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Route from Galle to Kandy?

Hi jax,

Kandy and Galle are connected by rail but it's not a completely inland route, part of it runs paralel to the coast.

Look at a map of Sri Lanka. Near the southern most point is the city of Matara. The coastal rail starts or ends there.

It runs from Matara to the south west corner the city of Galle. About 1 1/4 hours.

Then turns north, running very close to the beaches on the west coast as far as Colombo. About 3 hours.

From Colombo a line runs north to Negombo, ( easy for the airport ) and beyond to Puttalam on the coast and Anuradhapura a little inland.

Also from Colombo the line you're interested in goes inland from Colombo to Kandy. About 3 hours.

From Kandy it splits some going northward but the one yopu want, turns south through the mountains and hill country. To Newara Eliya , about 3 hours from Kandy. Ella about 6 hours from Kandy. and on to Badulla, another hour past Ella.

Badulla is the end of the line and to get to or from the coast this way it's a taxi or a bus. You can get a direct bus from Ella to Matara .

"" We hope to do the coastal route north from Galle to Colombo but would really love to travel across the hill country too.""

Thats easy, you just turn up at Galle station, which is easy to find, as it's right next to the cricket ground and the old Dutch fort.

Buy a ticket and climb aboard. Some trains go straight through some change at Colombo.

Around Kandy and going south through the hill country, the train journey is famed for the amazing scenery.

As you'll probably be travelling south from Colombo to Galle. Why not continue your trip to Kandy by going from Galle, along the south coast to Matara,

from matara get a bus to Ella. Stay a day or two.

Train to Haputale.. stay a day or two.

Train from Haputale to Kandy.

From Kandy excursions into the cultural triangle and eventually train back to Colombo.

Rod.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route from Galle to Kandy?

From Colombo a line runs north to Negombo, ( easy for the airport ) and beyond to Puttalam on the coast and Anuradhapura a little inland.

This line terminates at Puttalam.

The line to Anuradhapura follows the Kandy line inland until Polgahawela and turns north from there.

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Route from Galle to Kandy?

Well, if we're being pedantic,

Yes it does. I didn't mean it as one line but running north after the split.

So rephrased.

A line runs north from Colombo as far as Aruvakula, passing through Negombo which is convenient for the aiport and also passing through Puttalam, where it's easy to get a bus into Anuradhapura.

There's also another line running north. It splits from the main Colombo to Peradeniya/Kandy line at Polgahawella / Alawwa. This split line runs from there north to Anuradhapura.

The main line continues to Kandy or Peradeniya

None of that affects the main Colombo to Kandy line which I was trying to describe to someone who obviously had no knowledge of the rail system .

Probably made it more confusing but thats life.

Rod.

gloucestershire
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route from Galle to Kandy?

Hi

Did find this site for Sri Lankan Railways which does have some useful information:

http://www.railway.gov.lk/

Hope this helps.

9. Re: Route from Galle to Kandy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 05:16