We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slithery Serpents

Dundee
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Slithery Serpents

Im absolutely terrified of snakes. How likely am I to come across one?Someone staying at the Mermaid said 1 was on the road just outside the hotel.aah!are there many venomous species in Sri Lanka?

DEE

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slithery Serpents

The venomous snakes in Sri Lanka:

Cobra

Krait (Common & Sri Lanka)

Viper (Russell's, Saw scale, Hump nose & Green pit)

If you see a snake near Mermaid it will most like be a rat snake which is not venomous.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slithery Serpents

Hi Dee...

The chnaces of you seeing a snake in and around the hotel sre virtually NIL!, they simply don't like to be near noisy places like hotels, or indeed the sea.

Yes, there are quite a few species of these little devils in Sri Lanka, mostly found in jungle areas and even tea plantations too, and i would not have thought there would be any near the roads either.

In many visits to Sri Lanka, i can honestly say that i have NEVER seen a harmful snake, but have seen one or two non poisonous ones in the hotel grounds where i stay (not Mermaid), and like you i can't stand the sight of them, so quickly beat a retreat, until a pool attendant removed the unwanted fellow!

Regards

Dave

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slithery Serpents

Hi Dee,

Yes, chances of seeing a snake in and around the hotel is very less unless you stay in a hotel like Yala Village or you go for a nature walk.

Nishantha

Dundee
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Slithery Serpents

Cheers Guys when we visit the tea plantations the wife can go first lol

DEE

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slithery Serpents

We have seen snakes at the Serendib and at the beach in indurwa but the snakes were non poisness but quite large in lenth. If you go inland you will see more so stay away.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slithery Serpents

Oh dear ... I'd hate anyone with a fear of snakes to be put off exploring inland Sri Lanka thinking they are going to encounter them everywhere.

I admit, I have a fascination with them .. I actively go to places where I hope I will see them .. places like the rainforest at Sinharaja and Kitulgala, jungle areas like Ritigala, etc. etc. I have rarely seen any, even here and certainly not in areas frequented by large numbers of people.

You will occasionally see a large and harmless rat snake crossing the road, usually when you are driving along. Occasionally I've seen (and held) a pretty green vine snake when in deep forest, I saw another one at Ritigala .. think that was a bronze back something or other (showing my ignorance now ...) and I know that the occasional cobra can slither into gardens, but I haven't seen one yet.

The really dangerous ones like the krait and russells viper are more commonly found in rural areas with paddy fields etc. I have never seen one and the average tourist certainly won't.

For those of you who are like me and actually WANT to see snakes, call into the Youth Exploration Society's small building within the botanical gardens at Peradeniya. They have a few snakes there that they have found and keep for a few days to study and show visitors before releasing elsewhere (not back into the garden, don't worry!) When I was last there, I saw a small python, harmless cat and rat snakes and a cobra.

Sue

Schwyz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slithery Serpents

Normally snakes are afraid of you. When we go near the paddyfield or in the jungle where we live most of our stay , we take a stick to knock on the ground or we stamp our feet . Teapluckers you see very often with sticks and we were told, its because of snakes. Never saw snakes down south.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Slithery Serpents

Hi,

I agree with stamping your feet as you walk through bush.. The snakes feel the vibration and are usually long gone before you get near them.

Not so sure about the tea pickers sticks though.

They carry a straight stick to lay along the top of the tea bushes. Everything above the stick level gets picked and whats below is left.

Rod.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slithery Serpents

During my 44 visits to Sri Lanka I have only once come across a venomous snake (a viper at Sigiriya), except in Dehiwala Zoo and the snake charmers snakes.

Hans

Level Contributor
176 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slithery Serpents

I am with Sue on this one, I love snakes. I have sadly never seen a wild poisonous one on my 8 trips but have seen a python and several large but harmless rat snakes. I have seen plenty of cobras emerging from baskets for my entertainment and on e one occasion the owner picked one up and asked if I wanted to hold it. I said something to the effect of " No but thank you for asking, my good fellow" although I think it began with "F". He said the fangs had been removed but I was not up for taking a chance. I do feel sorry for those cobras and any other animals used for entertainment. It breaks my heart to see people with baby monkeys. I was once offered one for the equivalent of £14, it was a real sweetheart too. I wonder where the poor little soul is now.