We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Sri Lanka from Australia

Alice Springs
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
getting to Sri Lanka from Australia

Does anyone know of a good/cheap way of getting to Sri Lanka (I'm thinking November). There are no direct flights from Oz. I live in the Centre so could depart from Darwin, Adelaide or Perth.

Thanks Cazna

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to Sri Lanka from Australia

We are flying to Sri Lanka in August and booked our flights via the internet with Bestflights.

Singapore Airlines has the best deal at the moment but maybe checkout Asia X as they start flying to Colombo from the 15th of August via Kuala Lumpur. Also remenber,they don't include baggage and meals etc, so sometimes not cheaper. We are flying with Malaysian from Melbourne. We booked early and missed out on the specials. Rather annoying.

You will need to contact an agent or get on line and look at what Bestflights has to offer and go from there.

This is what Bestflights are offering for November but maybe check with your local agent

Singapore Airlines from ADL $979 Perth $959 inc taxes via SIN

Cathay Pacific from DRW/ADL/PER $1139 via Hong Kong inc taxes

Thai Airlines from Perth via BKK $1039 before 15Nov after this $1179 inc taxes

Emirates from ADL $1039 inc taxes via SIN & DBX

Hope this helps, I used to be a travel agent hence the codes. Good to see more Australians starting to venture to Sri Lanka. I thought we were the only ones for awhile there.

Cheers

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to Sri Lanka from Australia

Yes, Air Asia start flights from Kuala Lumpur from 15th August.

Air Asia X have flights from Perth to Kuala Lumpur.

Air Asia/Air Asia X are point-to-point carriers. That means you have to book separate flights from Perth to Kuala Lumpur and from Kuala Lumpur to Colombo. You will have to pay separate for baggage and meals.

Outbound you will have an overnight stay at Kuala Lumpur as the Perth flight arrives at 12:15 and the Colombo flight departs at 06:15. Inbound there is a long layover (from 14:30 to 23:50) at Kuala Lumpur.

Return fares in November are around AUD 410 + around AUD 60 for 20 kg baggage + around AUD 20 for meals.

http://www.airasia.com/site/my/en/home.jsp

Cheapest flights on "regular" airlines in November:

From Darwin via Singapore: from AUD 1728 (Qantas (operated by Jetstar), Emirates and SriLankan Airlines)

From Adelaide via Kuala Lumpur and Singapore: from AUD 1201 (Malaysia Airlines and SriLankan Airlines)

From Perth via Singapore: from AUD 1205 (Singapore Airlines)

You can use http://matrix.itasoftware.com (log in as guest - use Matrix 2) to find connections and fares.

For flights involving only one airline you can book directly on the airline's website. For flights involving more than one airline it is best to contact a local travel agent or an Australian website, e.g. http://bestflights.com.au/

perth
Level Contributor
9 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to Sri Lanka from Australia

Hi Guys,

I booked Air Asia X special deal to Sri lanka from Perth few days ago.

$A456.00 - Pth Kl - Kl SLK and return PTH including 20kg baggage, meals and seat reservation 01A-06B.

I flew Air Asia X November 08 - New plane BUT seats are not reclinable hence compromise comfort - but for the price I am not complaining!

Happy travels!!

Mike

perth
Level Contributor
9 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to Sri Lanka from Australia

Sorry Guys,

It's Islandboy49 - Too many scotches tonight - cold in Perth & forgot the password!!

5. Re: getting to Sri Lanka from Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2009, 06:20