We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Man killing elephant captured at Sigiriya!

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Man killing elephant captured at Sigiriya!

Thought you'd all find this interesting. A friend of mine at Sigiriya has sent me photos of the capture of a wild elephant that has been on the rampage there recently, together with the following text:

"The special unit of the Wild Life department caught a man killing elephant yesterday morning at Sigiriya after a struggle that lasted a few days.Over 12 feet high, this giant bull killed more than 6 people around Sigiriya recently and damaged houses as well as cultivations"

The offending beast has now been released into Lunugamwehera National Park (remind me never to go there ....!) but thought this would be a warning to anyone feeling tempted to take a walk after dusk in areas of the Cultural Triangle such as this! They aren't all nice and friendly!!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Man killing elephant captured at Sigiriya!

Man killing elephant ay ?.

Those sexist one's are always the worse.

kandy
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Man killing elephant captured at Sigiriya!

I'm kind of circumspect of the wording 'man killing elephant'.the rogue elephants do not deliberately target people.if given the opportunity they''d rather scoot off. elephant attacks normally occur at places where people have encroached in to jungle.there may be forays into gardens basically during the dry seasons in search of greenery specially banana and young paddy.houses get damaged not due to malicious intent but mainly due to 'traffic related 'issues.

rogues are the guys who are kind of chased out of the heard and they sometimes occupy thickets bordering large forests. normally the people who fall victim are those who tend to enter these places for various purposes.

elephants don't do rampaging.if let alone the big guys wont make news.

Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Man killing elephant captured at Sigiriya!

Hi

Im asking my self whether so call wild life department has slept until killing 5 innocent villages in sigiriya . as I heard 6th man who killed was father- in -low of famous movie stars in sri lanka.. then only wild life department reacted.

Thanks,

ind

4. Re: Man killing elephant captured at Sigiriya!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 06:32