We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quality diamonds?

Formby
Level Contributor
181 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Quality diamonds?

Hi I am going to Beruwela in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know where I can buy a good quality diamond ring?

I have just lost my engagement ring (in tears!) and want a replacement. When I was in Goa , India there appeared to be several reputable jewellers who sold good quality gold and diamonds. Would the quality be as good in Sri Lanka? If so can anyone recommend a jeweller who will not rip me off?

Appreciate any help!

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quality diamonds?

Hi Claire,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

This has been a regular post on here but I'll repeat a short version to save you trolling through past posts.

Sri Lanka Gem and Jewellery Exchange.

Level 4 and 5 ,

East Low Block,

World Trade centre,

Echelon Square,.... Colombo-01.

Thats a government controlled organisation in Sri Lanka set up to guarantee the quality of jewellery and gems bought in Sri Lanka.

It's a free service to tourists buying there.

In the same block of the world trade centre, there's quite a few jewellers where you could buy what you want. That makes it easy to take any purchase into the Jewllwery Exchange and have it verified and a certificate of authenticity issued free of charge.

Spending any decent amount of money in a jewellers , any where in Sri Lanka i;'d get it checked out there. There's some great bargains to be had and some beautiful work but there's also a lot of scammers so any reputable jeweller should be willing to accomoany you to the centre.

If he won't go or arrange for someone to accompany you, just say, no thank you and go elsewhere.

Fromk Beruwella is a nice little trip either by taxi, train or bus to get into Colombo so gives you a chance for some shopping as well.

Rod.

Formby
Level Contributor
181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quality diamonds?

Thanks Rod, appreciate your help and advice. Will definately check out your recommendations

Regards Claire

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
169 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quality diamonds?

Just to add to what Rod has said - Diamonds are not typically mined in Sri Lanka but Saphires, Rubys and emeralds are. So if you want the best value for money (biger stone and better quality) better to go with one of those precious stones.

You have two choices regarding the ring design and manufacture:-

1. Either choose a design from a catalogue in one of the reputable jewellers. They will all do this and even deliver to your hotel.

2. Or choose a good quality cut stone and bring this back to the UK and get this made up here.

The advantage of the latter appoach is that you will get a much better choice or modern/contempary designs. This is still cost effective and the major part of the cost is the stone and cutting.

We have done both approaches.

For the latter we used a shop in the Birmingham jewellary quarter - by far the cheapest and best quality jewellery manufacturing in the UK and you have the option of getting something really besoke and special.

Formby
Level Contributor
181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quality diamonds?

Thanks Ken for letting me know about the different options. I never considered buying the stones there and having the ring made back at home!

Appreciate your help

Regards

Claire

5. Re: Quality diamonds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 06:17