We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

evening stroll

lincolnshire england
Level Contributor
153 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
evening stroll

We shall be visiting sri lanka 3 weeks today for 2 weeks.first visit.Please can someone tell me if there are places where in the evening we can walk around find somewhere to eat, shop and generally stroll or do people just stay in their hotels at night.are there beach type towns to do this in or is Kandy such a place. Thanks .

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: evening stroll

Shops (except few supermarkets) generally close around 7pm everywhere in Sri Lanka.

In places like Negombo, Bentota and Hikkaduwa you can walk to nearby restaurants for dinner and a drink.

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: evening stroll

Hi,

It depends on where you go.

For example, walk along the Galle Road in Hikkaduwa and there's literally scores of small gift shops, clothing shops, wood carvers, jewellers , etc all open until very late in the evening, .

The same is true of Negombo. The Poruthota Road and Lewis place has similar shops open very late.

When I'm in either of those two places, I often stroll late evening chatting to the shopkeepers and I often wonder at their patience in sitting there night after night in the , usually vain hope, that a customer just might buy something.

For Hikkaduwa and Negombo, the same applies to the restaurants and small bars.

I do agree that most Sri Lankan towns close up early and Kandy is one of those, Not much going on after mid evening.

Rod.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: evening stroll

Hope I'm not too late with this but I can talk fairly well about Kandy having lived there for three and a half years and having just returned from a month there in June.

Yes, you can stroll around quite safely in Kandy in the evening but the first thing to know is that there is a total transformation in the town after dark. Busy, almost frenetic during the day, things rapidly become very quiet once the shops close and after 9pm almost everything is closed, including restaurants.

Also you will need to find out where your hotel is. Unlikely to be in the town so it will mean a taxi ride or a three wheeler journey down into Kandy itself.

My favourite restaurant in the town is called Rams, in Colombo Street. It serves brilliantly fresh southern Indian food at very cheap prices. (If you want further details of where to find it, please send me a private message.)

Just exercise the usual care when in a new location and you will be fine. Have a wonderful trip.

lincolnshire england
Level Contributor
153 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: evening stroll

Thank you for your reply.No its not too late we are off next wednesday and appreciate all advice.We are staying 2 nights in Kandy along with 2 nights at most of the other tourist spots,negombo,galle, etc. Really looking forwad to the trip as first time in sri lanka. We have organised a driver who will apparently alter his route to accomodate any changes needed as we go along so hopefully have a little flexibity if needed. Thanks again

5. Re: evening stroll

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 05:17