We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

Dear friends, tell me please how can I move from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle fast and cheap.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,740 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

Hi there,

The two qualities are a bit contradicting ;-) Fast: car with driver, 5-6 hours to Matara and 1-2 hours extra to Galle.

Cheap:

a) Train (2 x per day) or bus to Ella, from Nanu Oya of course.

b) Direct bus Ella-Matara. These are rare, maybe 1-2 x per day; at other times you need to transfer at Wellawaya.

And if needed from Matara to Galle by train again.

The cheap way is a LOOOONG day, maybe 10 hours.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Antarctica
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

Hi,

The train is very cheap but very slow and there are only a few to choose.

The fastest way by bus is from

*NE- Hatton bus

*Hatton-Colombo A/C bus

*colombo to galle/matara A/C bus

The direct buses from NE to Colombo go in a longer route via peradeniya(near kandy)

I assumed you are not intending to stop in any particular place. As Erik said if you want to go to Ella then there is another way to Galle/matara but the buses from that area to Matara isn't frequent.

Thanks

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

Thank you very much.

Tell me please one question yet.

Do you know another way from Nuwara-Eliya to Bentota or Wadduva without Colombo?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

If you are going by car/van the driver will make a short cut and go via Padukka-Horana to Wadduwa/Kalutara and Bentota.

By bus it's more complicated and involves some bus changes. Assuming you are going on the Hatton-Colombo bus you can get down at Hanwela and get a bus to Horana from there. From Horana to Wadduwa you need to take a bus to Panadura and change there for a but going to Wadduwa. From Horana to Bentota you need to take a bus to Kalutara and change there for a bus to Bentota (Aluthgama).

Hans

Antarctica
Level Contributor
517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

As Hans said it's a bit complicated by bus. So, unless you are quite familiar with travel in Sri Lanka or unless you have a good sense of direction and a knowledge of where exactly you are don't try this by bus. But if you have a car/driver then this is the route the driver will take.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

Ok. thanks.

I understood that this moving would be so long.

I want to lose time minimum for this moving.

Do anybody know the shortest and cheap direct from Nuwara-Eliya to South or South-West of Sri-Lanka?

Help me please?

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

Hi

A bus from Newara Eliya to Bandarawella and another from there to Matara.

You might have to change at Wellwaya on the 2nd bus.

Should take about 7 to 7 1/2 hours for the complete journey.

Rod.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

Do anybody know another route from Nuwara-Eliya to south cost of Sri-Lanka? It is very important

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,740 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

Hi Energeizer,

This IS the shortest route, as the crow flies!

Car would be 5-6 hours, but you want it cheap and that adds a few extra hours. Lanka has no highways to speak of, so don't expect average road speed to exceed 30-40 km/h...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving from Nuwara-Elia to Matara or Galle

Take a look at a map of Sir Lanka (google maps). There are no direct roads from Nuwara Eliya to Matara/Galle/Bentota/Wadduwa.

If you want to go to the south coast (Matara) the shortest way is via Ella and Wellawaya.

If you want to go to the west coast (Wadduwa/Bentota) the shortest way is via Hatton, Avissawella.

Both are described above.

Going via Pelmadulla and Akuressa to Matara/Galle is longer, will take longer time due to bad roads and very complicated to do by public transport (bus).

Hans