We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girsthouse in colonial style

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Girsthouse in colonial style

Advice me please a good girsthouse in colonial style in Nuwara-Eliya, Ella, Hatton. I will be very thank :-)

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Girsthouse in colonial style

Hi,

A couple of guesthouses in Ella which are really good. Maybe not exactly Colonials style but through and through Sri Lankan.

1/

The Sun Top Inn,

18 Police Station Road,

Ella;

Tel; +94-(0)-57-2228673

suntopinn@sltnet.lk

Out of the station, about 50 metres down the main village street and theres a little lane goes left. Thats Police Station Road. Up there about 100 metres on the right.

Good rooms and en-suite, very friendly and excellent home cooking.

Only problem here is if you turn up with a driver,, they don't have driver accomodation.

2/

The Tea garden Holiday Inn,

Ella.

Don't have the full address, but it's a little village.

Bottom of the main street the road curves right. Just around the curve set above the road on the right is the Tea garden Inn.

Ask for one of the top rooms. There are two rooms above everything else with a huge wrap around 270 degree balcony with fabulous views. little Adams peak ( a mountain ) to the left, Ella Roc, ( another mountain ) to the right and views down through Ella gap straight ahead.

Rooms and en-suite excellent as is the food. Their curry cooked and served in banana leaves is a treat but has to be ordered early,

I'm not really up with Newara Eliya. I stayed once and didn't want to repeat the experience. Lay there shivering all night.

The place we stayed at , I suppose is colonial but if you go there ask them to light a fire in your room.

The Grosvenor Hotel,

6 Haddon Hill Road,

Newara Eliya,

Tel; +940(0)-52-2222307

I can't remember what we paid but it was " guest house " rates... Huge rooms, well furnished with really old but well kept furniture. Food was OK , but not to rave about.

If you go there, don't forget about the fire in the room.

Just checked a web site and they give prices as between 600 rupees and 1700 rupees depending on the room.

Rod,.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Girsthouse in colonial style

It is very carefull information for me, Rod. Thank you.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Girsthouse in colonial style

Do anyone advice me other girsthouse?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girsthouse in colonial style

You can find guesthouses all over Sri Lanka here:

go-lanka.com/srilanka_budget_accommodation.h…

go-lanka is a booking agency, but you don't need to book through them. Just find the guesthouses and book as you go.

Hans

5. Re: Girsthouse in colonial style

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2010, 05:16