We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport

UK
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport

Hi

I am currently planning a 2 week tour of Sri Lanka. My girlfriend and I (both mid 20s) would like to travel around using trains and buses. We will have one backpack and one suticase (with wheels) with us. I would like to know how easy it will be to get on/off buses and trains.

I am more concerned about the buses. For example, how long do they stop for at each scheduled stop? Will we have to hold on to the luggage during the journey or are there storage compartments?

We will try and use trains where we can but for some of our planned route this will not be possible i.e. Ella to Tangalle.

Any insights would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport

Hi,

Trains are fine although they can also get very crowded so if you can, plan journeys outside of the peak times.

Getting a suitcase on and off buses can be dificult.

Lots of times, the buses are racing each other, trying to get to the stop first so they get the passengers. That means they'll stop and restart as quickly as possible.

I travel the buses regularly but I don't think I'd want to do some of therm with a suitcase.

My backpack is bendy , squeezes under seats or sometimes rests on my lap.

If you can get the bus from it's source then it's not so bad as you get first choice.

Rod.

UK
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport

Thank you Rod.

3. Re: Public Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 06:20