We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos + Mosquito Repellent

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos + Mosquito Repellent

Hi all,

I am travelling to Sri Lanka next week and need your advice on Mosquitoes.

Do you know if mosquitoes are a problem at the following hotels:-

Citadel Chaaya (Kandy)

Tea Factory (Nuwara Eliya)

Bentota Beach Hotel (Bentota)

Also could you recommend any good mosquito repellent that has been tried and tested by you Sri Lankan veterans =].

I get quite bad reactions to bites so any help would be brilliant!

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos + Mosquito Repellent

Hi there...

Mozzies are i am afraid an everyday thing in Sri Lanka, just as they are in all tropical countries, you have no need to worry about Malaria as all the places you have mentioned are free from this, however you should take precautions not to get bitten.

Use a good repellent containing DEET at all times, day and night, and there are many that are suggested here on TA, my usual one is AUTAN, i use it all the time out there and do not get bitten, but i am sure that others will say same about thier favourite one too.

The hotels usually are free from Mozzies in the rooms, and will have thier own way of dealing with them, Tea Factory, well it is too cool up there for Mozzies, so highly unlikely that will see any there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos + Mosquito Repellent

We have just returned and had no problems with mosquitos. Not one bite between any of us. We sprayed uncovered body parts with mosquito spray morning and night. We did take vitamin B1 but you need to start taking thi a fortnight before you travel and 2 tablets a day.

Most hotels provide a plugin mosquito deterrant in the room. The Chaaya in Kandy did and I am sure the others will too. Its mainly if you near the jungle and when its stopped raining there seem to be more mosquitos about.

Any spray should be fine as long as it has alot of Deet in it.

Have fun

Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos + Mosquito Repellent

we are staying in two of the hotels you are and i have manage to buy repel 100 deet for 120ml 6.99 plus 6 50 for next day delviery from amazon .co.uk

we fly out on the 5th sept from manchester.

shirley.ps have a great hol

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Tangalle, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos + Mosquito Repellent

I'm living here in Tangalle, South coast, and i don't yet find a good mosquito repellent, even Autan don't really work with me! mosquito like me very much... when i go back to switzerland i take a swiss mosquito repellent which work much better than the sri lankan ones... so i think better you buy your repelent in your country... and in some sri lankan towns, it's difficult to find repelent (out of stock...)

if you really like to buy a repelent in sri lanka, take an empty spray bottle with you. it's better to spray also the clothes because they bite through the jeans...

Level Contributor
898 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos + Mosquito Repellent

I think people's experience of mossies very much vary. They seem to prefer some more than others but with DEET spray, which you can easily get from Boots, plus A/C in your hotel rooms and the electric mosquito mats which your hotels will provide, you should not have too much of a problem. Enjoy your trip - you are staying at some lovely places.

lincolnshire england
Level Contributor
158 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos + Mosquito Repellent

Hi we have just returned on Friday from 2 weeks in Sri lanka,I was worried about mozzies and took Deet spray however to be honest I didnt really use it much and my husband and I were only stung once.Usully I am covered in bites.The Tea Factory was quite chilly and we saw no mozzies there.Have a great time.

7. Re: Mosquitos + Mosquito Repellent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 05:19