We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rammuni tours a great find

Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Rammuni tours a great find

Rammuni tours

Hi all we have just got back from the magical island of Sri lanka...

I am writing this review to benefit a wonderful man/guide called ramunni de silva.

Me and my fiancée chose Sri lanka for our wedding destination over a year ago, and I have been planning and plotting our trip ever since.

I contacted many a guide recommended on trip adviser, but in the end chose ramunni after lengthy discussions on the web with Dave Stockwell ( a destination expert who has helped me with many a question on here,,,,, thanks Dave for all your advise!!!! " still would like to take you on with the beer drinking competition ha ha")

Anyhow, once rammuni was picked, I decided what trips/excursions were to take place!!!

We decided on

1 A beach BBQ for my best man as it was his 30th while I was out here getting wed

2 A trip to galle, turtle hatchery etc

3 A trip to the elephant orphanage

4 And lastly a White water rafting trip

The first trip/ BBQ

We were picked up by ramunni and his driver at 5pm on the 22nd of august and were taken to the ramada beach resort -no more than 10 minutes from our own fantastic resort the kani lanka ( review to follow )

Upon arrival at the ramada we were shown his tailoring shop ( which we used to great effect for our sari's on our wedding night!!!! I will post pictures :-) )

We then progressed to the beach, to be greeted by a game of beach cricket and a BBQ set under some tents with lanterns....

When the cricket had finished, which may I add we lost to 4 10 year olds... ( they must have spiked our drinks ha ha ) we started on the pre drinks for the BBQ.... And without warning the heavens opened and the once peaceful beach turned into a maelstrom of wind and rain

No matter though, all food and drink was quickly dispatched into a nearby hut... Not 5 star but as the evening wore on and the arrack flowed the venue grew in stature and really hit the mark in a more personal way - more so than if we had chosen a more upmarket venue!!!!!!

In all Scott ( the birthday boy had a night he will never forget ) I would like to thank the band, who sang tirelessly all night, the cook - who never cooked ( but drank and sang all night and the tens of people who run around after us all night to ensure we had a great time- to one and all of you a great thanks!!!! This cost £250.00 for 9 people

The galle trip

We were picked up at around 8 in the morning, And our first stop was a river boat safari - at which we saw monitor lizards, many exotic birds and got to hold a baby crocodile!!!

Next stop was a trip to the turtle hatchery - where we got to hold baby turtles and some very large ones that they are nursing back to health ( this was really good )

We then visited a mask museum, which showed us how the traditional masks were made - spent quite a bit of money here, but they were willing to barter...

then on to a moon stone mine, again a great place to visit ( there is also a little hut where they make cinnamon sticks here ) i bought my W2B a lovely dress ring for our wedding day ( again bartering was welcomed )

Rammuni then took all of us to a fantastic beach restaurant - the food here put our hotel to shame!!! the setting could not have been beaten, the waves were breaking about 20 feet from our table...

after lunch we headed onto the beach and took a glass bottomed boat ride and did some snorkelling

the last stop of the day was down to galle itself, we had a quick walk around the old forts and headed back to the hotel - a very long, but extremely enjoyable trip!!! this cost us £10 per person

The Elephant Orphanage

A very early start - we were picked up at 5am ( if you are fully inclusive were your staying the hotel will make a pack up for you, we had them made and then gave them to our driver )

We got to the orphanage about 9am - after a road stop for a bite to eat and a couple of coffees

The feeding of the baby elephants takes place twice a day and we were there to see the first, after this Rammuni took us down to the river front ( where all the elephants are lead to twice a day to be bathed) he had booked us the best table overlooking the river and had cold beers waiting for us - these were very much needed, it was baking that day.

We were then ushered to the front of the restaurant and see all the elephants walk (some stampede past us ) they were so close we could touch them as they walked past - a wonderful experience i will never forget!!!

we stayed watching the elephants bath for a few hours, with drinks and food flowing...

then off to a tea plantation, only 5 mins up the road - best cup of tea i have ever tasted....

After this we were drove to the millennium foundation a place were you can ride some elephants into a river where they spray you with there trunks - fantastic ( extra cost for this )

On the way back to the hotel, Rammuni had arranged for us to have supper in a small family run place, which grew its own food..

This was a great meal, all paid for by our guide.. we spent nearly two hours here drinking and eating..

The whole day cost £14 each

White Water Rafting

Me, two friends and my 10 year old son went on this trip, took nearly 3 hours to get there... but was so worth it!!! the rapids were great fun , but not too dangerous... we could of gone higher up the river for some more thrilling ones, but may have been to hard for my boy to hold on.

the trip down the river took just over an hour, then we had a shower, got changed and had a well earned meal in a hotel that is situated on the river...

This trip cost us £10 each for the rapids and £35 in total for the driver (meal was an extra)

We also used Rammuni to take my new wife and i and my friends out to a local seafood restaurant... Again recommended by our guide, we all had a great time here and may have had a few too many beers and arracks.... Rammuni did not charge to take us here

We used him again to take 5 of us jet skiing... the jet skis are about 10mins from the Kani Lanka ( same place as the river boat safari ) and cost us about £40 for half an hour... again Rammuni refused to be paid for this...

My parents used him for a day trip to Colombo ( shopping ) this cost them £35 for the day

And lastly his tailor made us our evening wedding outfits - a sequined sari cost £45 (including skirt, top , sending someone to measure us and sending a women to dress the women on our wedding night ) - The men's shirts cost us £25 and included a embroidered sash

I would recommend Rammuni and his driver to anyone thinking of going to Sri Lanka

If anyone would like anymore info or his details please feel free to contact me

A big thanks to Dave for recommending him

A massive thanks to Rammuni and his driver

And to all of you who have taken the time to read this, thanks for your interest ;-)

Lee and Claire Bance

D.S Tours Day Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Chamila Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Blue Lanka Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rammuni tours a great find

Hi Lee & Claire....

Thanks for such a good detailed report into you recent holiday/wedding, glad you you have enjoyed it so much.

I am glad also that you did NOT leave any contact details about your driver, or this would sadly have meant that this report may have been removed, due to the non advertising rules here on TA, from what i have read you have not broken any thankfully, so if it is removed, then it would be because someone didn't like it, and that i find questionable.

Also of course a very good pointer to what can be done down in Sri Lanka, and i am sure that many first time visitors will appreciate this very much, and maybe one or two "old timers" like me too.

So, once again, glad that you and your family have enjoyed your trip down to Sri Lanka, hopefully of course you will be thinking of going again in the not too distant future.

OH, and nearly forgot, congratulations !!

Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rammuni tours a great find

thanks for your good wishes dave

Lee and Claire

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rammuni tours a great find

We also used Rammuni for our tour in April, and would definitely recommend him.

He is a very polite & friendly guy, and we felt safe with him at all times.

Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rammuni tours a great find

couldnt agree with you more

Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rammuni tours a great find

Couldn't agree with you more

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Rammuni tours a great find

hi lee and claire

great review..

could i have rammuni's details, its just what we are looking for.

Thanks in advance

8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rammuni tours a great find

Dear Lee, could you send me the Ramuuuni's contact details and, as you has spent much time choosing your accommodation, to give any advise re a nice hotel at a safe to swim beach? Thank you. Marina

e-mail Marina.Krechetnikova@JTI.com

Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rammuni tours a great find

marina / bod

I have sent you both a PM with ramunnis details

hope you both have a fantastic time in Sri Lanka

Lee & Claire

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rammuni tours a great find

Thank you Lee! I have already sent a request to Rammuni.

I heard on Russian TV about possibility of a new earthquake forcasted by seismological service and feel little bit scared after the recent Sumatra case.

Regards, Marina

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rammuni tours a great find

Thanks for that Lee and Claire,

Its good to read detailed reviews. Once we have had our 5 nights up near Sigiriya, 1 in Kandy and then 1 in Nuwarya Eliya, we really only want to rest for a week once we get to the beach for weak. But all your trips sound tempting! I will personal message you for details. We were definately intending to take a trip in Galle direction and take in a few of the other sighrs like the Turtle Hatchery and a glass bottom boat trip!

Everytime I read these wonderful reviews, I just get more excited for our January trip, so Thanks for that. Its great having something so exciting to look forward to now we have hit October.

Caz x