We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sigirya Rock

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sigirya Rock

I would love to visit Sigirya Rock and climb to the top but I am really scared of heights, would like some advice on what the climb is like. ie. if is up steps set in the rock with some sort of handrail I think I will be ok but if there are any sort of steps where you can see through them I think I would freeze.

Thanks in advance for any help

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sigirya Rock

Hi

Not sure what to suggest, because there are indeed handrails that you can see through. Take a look at this picture:

…wordpress.com/2008/05/sigiriya-steps.jpg

I have others that I have taken myself if you want me to send them to you to help you make up your mind. All I can say is that I am not keen on heights, but Sigiriya was not a problem at all for me. Even if you decided to duck out of the final ascent, I would think you should be able to manage the first part of the climb up to the terrace where the "Lion's Paws" are and you will still see the frescoes.

Alternatively, maybe try climbing Pidurangala Rock which is the outcrop next to Sigiriya and actually gives you the best views of Sigiriya itself. There are no handrails or cliff edges on this one, just steep steps inbetween large boulders, and a scramble up over boulders at the top. Pidurangala is free, so if it all gets too much for you, at least you haven't wasted your money ...!

Sue

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sigirya Rock

hi sue

thanks for you quick response, it is not the handrails that you can see through that bother me it is the actual steps, I just get the feeling that I could fall. That would be great if you could email me your pics. Can you remember how much it is to climb Sigirya Rock?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sigirya Rock

Hello again

It costs $25 to do Sigiriya but it is included in the cultural triangle combined ticket, so if you also want to see Polonnaruwa, Anuradhapura and one or two others which are included in this, you can buy that ticket for $50 .. still steep I know, but cheaper than getting them separately.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll gladly send you a few pics.

Sue

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sigirya Rock

Hi dizzydot

We climbed the rock 2 weeks ago. There are 2 sections I remember that you can 'see through' the steps. Firsty about one third up, a narrow metal spiral staircase that leads up to see some wall paintings, maybe 40 or so steps, then immediately back down again via the return metal spiral staircase to where you started, to continue your journey upwards. It maybe possible to skip this bit. On the way back down, you go another way thus avoiding these 2 staircases.

Then after a breather at the Lion's Paws, you can see the what's left to do.

thetravelwebsite.co.uk/images/SRILANKASIGIRI…

2 more flights of metal see-through steps before the final flight.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sigirya Rock

Hi DizzyDot

I've e-mailed the photos to you now ..

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sigirya Rock

Hi Dizzy..

Just to add to already good advice, you do NOT have to go all the way to the top, you can wait at the stage clsoe to the last stairway and watch others before deciding to do so.

It looks more daunting that it actually is, so maybe that little breather will help you, it would be a shame to go that far and not complete the climb.

Regards

Dave

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sigirya Rock

I'm really scared of heights, my girlfriend has had to walk me slowly down cathedral towers with soothing words!!! Very embarrassing indeed!!

However for some reason I didn't find Sigiriya too bad. Of course, my knees were shaking a bit but the worst part for me was a set of metal ciruclar stairways with metal grates for steps. I usually concentrate on putting 1 foot in front of the other and looking at my feet while climbing, but I could see right through the steps and into the trees below!! This was, for me the worst part of the climb.

The other bad bit was the last climb to the top through the lion's feet. I'd got so far though, there was no way I wasn't going to complete the climb. I grabbed on with both hands and literally hauled myself up the last bit! It's scary, but to be fair I didn't think it was too bad!!

It's well worth the view from the top. The view is absolutely sensational!! Have a look at my pictures under my contributions to the forum, you'll get a rough idea of the views.

Advice - persevere, you'll be rewarded with amazing views!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sigirya Rock

We climbed the rock about 3 weeks ago and I was also a little apprehensive. The scariest bit was the spiral staircase up to the painting which you can miss. But it would be a shame to miss the paintings as they are very good. It scared our 5 year old son as you can look out and down. He wasn't so keen to do anymore climbing after this.

I am sure you will be ok though.

I hope you are fit. I wasn't and the last bit was hard work.

Goodluck

9. Re: Sigirya Rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 05:20