We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spice gardens: real or fake?

uae
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Spice gardens: real or fake?

I wonder if anybody could comment on the spice gardens that you encounter on the way from Kandi back to Colombo: did anybody ever buy anything there? Does the stuff actually work? The people take you around showing the garden and all the natural plants that have been used to produce the ayurvedic medicines sold right there in the shop, they sounded quite convincing, and according to them they had cure for almost every illness, however, I thought, before buying anything, I would find out more info on it, as I am sure I'd be back to SLanka again, and if it's genuine, I'd buy it then. Also, the prices seemed quite expensive, could the same stuff be bought elsewhere cheaper? Thanks!

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spice gardens: real or fake?

Hi there...

Real or fake?, well a bit of both really, sure the plants ect are real, they are growing there, products??, well again real, BUT well overpriced of course.

A tip here is, go for the tour, get the fact sheets that are given out, and then head for the nearest local pharmacy, here you will find everything on sale at Spice Gardens at a much lower cost !

Regards

Dave

uae
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spice gardens: real or fake?

Thanks, never liked a tourist-targeted places, the only good thing, however is that they speak english there and can explain what herbs/ ingredients are used and what each ointment/ oil may treat, while in a small ayurvedic clinic they could not explain the ingredients of the medicines!

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spice gardens: real or fake?

If you are really interested in Ayurveic medicine, you could find a proper Ayurvedic doctor. The universty training for these doctors is as lengthy and thorough as that for western medicine (6 or 7 years) and as such they will almost surely speak reasonable English.

England
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Spice gardens: real or fake?

WARNING ABOUT BUYING FROMN THE SPICE GARDENS. My husband and I have recently returned from Sri Lanka and must warn anyone who visits these places to be really aware of what it is they are buying and especially what they are charged. We were taken to the spice garden directly opposite the Millenium elephant centre (where you can wash an elephant) quite near to Pinnawella elephant orphanage. We enjoyed the tour and also the mini massage and decided to buy something from their shop. The cost was quite high and so we only bought some sandlewood cream and cinnamon oil (not even sure its even the right stuff as it doesnt even have a smell and is certainly not worth much) The total cost was 5,900 rupees and we gave them our credit card. My husband not wearing his reading glasses(!) didnt check the receipt expecting it to be correct, however on the return to the UK I checked my credit card report and discovered that this spice garden had added another 10,000 rupees to our account, ie 15,900 rupees. I was very sad and angry by this fraud. Of course if we had had our wits about us and we had noticed that the credit card had been charged with this incorrect amount we would have pointed this out immediately to them but that is what they are hoping will happen, that is people pay automatically on trust and if a mistake is noticed they apologise and rectify the mistake, but if not they are indeed the winners. So this cream which Ive tried using but is just too gungy and useless cost us over £92.00!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately when you see this lovely country and what that money could have bought for several families it is indeed disgusting.

So good luck anyone who visits these spice garden, enjoy but dont fall into the trap that we did.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spice gardens: real or fake?

i personally also never use credit cards in sri lanka .

if you enjoyed your spice garden tour you may choose to leave a small tip or buy something small like a packet of coco powder(depending on price of course.)

re ,the post above, i presume this fraud has been reported to your credit card company.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spice gardens: real or fake?

If you sign a credit card slip without checking the amount, there is nothing to report/complain about.

Hans

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spice gardens: real or fake?

I would agree with DM51 about consulting a proper Ayurvedic Doctor or Ayurvedic hospital if you are really interested in treatment. Spice gardens are just road-side attractions and not much more than that. Best to have a look around. If they give a good service in terms of showing you the place, leave about Rs. 200/- tip and move on.

8. Re: Spice gardens: real or fake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 08:30