We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok, heres my short list of beach hotels!

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ok, heres my short list of beach hotels!

First of all a big thank you to all the regular advisors on here. You all do a grand job, wont name you as you know who you are! And Erik, I missed seing you too in 2007!

Anyway, we have agreed 5 nights at the Cinnamon Lodge in Habarana, 1 night in Kandy at the Earl's reach and 1 night at the Tea Factory. so far so good. All Half board etc.

I have spent hours ( and im not fibbing!)trying to decide where to spend our 2nd week.

Reddot sent me a couple of quotes for Sl and the Maldives, but since my email on Saturday saying we wanted to stay only in S.L, they havent replied. I sent a polite reminder today, but still no quote. Hope the guy is just having a couple of days off and isnt ill.

Dream Ticket have also failed to get back to me, I chased them up this afternoon and they said sorry and would look in to it as I was on the system, by hey ho still nothing back !!!

BUT here is Kuoni's offerings:

Taj Exotica = £2602 Half board

Kani Lanka = £2994 All inclusive

Heritance Ahungalla =£3022 HB

Eden Resort =£3034 HB

Blue Water =£3121

Our original quote was for the Taj, which is the cheapest. But many reviews complain about damp musty rooms, expecially the bathrooms and a very tired hotel.

As Iv explained before we lead (like many folk) extreemly busy lifes. We are foster carers so work 24/7 365 days minus our 2 weeks respite break! One of our kids has special needs. So after our lovely inland jaunt all we wish to do is sit in and out the sun/shade and vegetate, reading a book, dipping a toe in the pool and munching on some tasty food.

I have asked Reddot for a price for the Wunderbar hotel, but suspect it might be a bit too basic for us, one site says its like an 18 to 30's holiday and anyway still waiting for them to get back to me).

Which one to chose, is it really neccesary to spend out the extra £400 plus to do better the the Taj?? I know Travellerguy like the Heritance, should we do upgrade to that. Or would there a be a lot more life in the Kani Lanka which is All Inclusive, so perhaps will be less deserted as folk will stick around in the evenings to get their moneys worth? We enjoyed eating out in Koh Samui as our hotel was so posh and dead in the evening, but I hated walking past all the bars/shops where the staff harass you to enter their business. This is likely to be our last big holiday alone, as our respite carers(our sone and his wife) are having their 2nd baby in the spring and it will be too much for them after that. Also my husband was redundent this spring. We are having one last big holiday as its my 50th birthdya at Christmas, but we are not loaded with cash! If we upgrade from the Taj, we will probably go for either the Kani Lanka or Heritance Ahungalla. Main difference Heritance looks nicer, but the K.Lanka is All Inclusive and we may get to save a bit of cash there and make some friends. Will we spend a lot on drinks at the H.A? We only drink soft drink in the day. Sorry for long posting! I really want this last big holiday to be special.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,064 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok, heres my short list of beach hotels!

Hi there,

Hmmm... always personal taste. Personally we're much more fond of Bentota than of Kalutara or Ahungalla or Wadduwa, because you have freedom with walking out to restaurants/cafes for (in your case) lunch. And when we visited Taj 2 years back, we were quite okay with the maintenance state - but of course the situation might well change over time.

That having said, Kani Lanka is also decent and quite isolated being on a peninsula. So it's not an easy choice, also because in your situation you'd probably gain some lunch budget by going for AI. In the end based on our expectations we'd probably do Taj but it's really your choice...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok, heres my short list of beach hotels!

Hi there...

Don't worry too much about Red Dot slow in getting back to you, sometimes the advisor you are dealing with has a day off, but they will get back to you.

Wunderbar 18-30??, hmmm not sure about that, certainly did not get that impression when i went there to check it out in April this year, it is very much a laid back place, but yes does get lively at night time, but bar ect away from rooms, so if you want some peace, that shold be no problem.

Otherwise, as Erik has said, pretty much choice is down to you, you mentioned that i like HA, yes that is very true, more than any other beach hotel in Sri Lanka.

Drinks prices there at HA, soft drinks, Large glass fresh fruit juice 300 Rupees,Coke,Sprite ect are 150 Rupees per bottle (330ml), water same price (500ml), Beers, Lion Beer 625ish ml is 400 Rupees, and my fav tipple for evening is Vodka/Tonic, same 400 Rupees, so not that expensive, you only pay for Vodka, tonic is free, like all mixers with drinks !, and certainly cheaper than Taj...

Beach much nicer at HA than at Bentota too, and in December/January very calm and great for a swim too

Regards

Dave

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok, heres my short list of beach hotels!

Thanks Erik and Dave,

We will wait for Reddot to get back to us before we make a decision. My Hubby is a wise man, he says he will leave it up to me. But being telepathic I can interpret his hmmms and hahhhs. So whilst Im probably leaning towards Heritance, he is (I believe!) leaning towards the Kani Lanka. He is probably being practical and appreciating the All Inclusive factor of the K.L. It is quite nice to put your wallet away for a few days, apart from the tipping. Think I read that the Heritance puts beer glasss in the freezer. That will probably sway his opinion, as that is what he does at home.

Thanks again.

Caz x

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok, heres my short list of beach hotels!

Hi again Caz..

Maybe check out this on You Tube, most of your "chosen" hotels on here...

www.youtube.com/view_play_list…

Regards

Dave

staffs
Level Contributor
174 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok, heres my short list of beach hotels!

Hi just reading your comments on Sri lanka, what does HA stand for?

My head is spinning on how to arrange a holiday to take it all in.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok, heres my short list of beach hotels!

Heritance Ahungalla.

Hans

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok, heres my short list of beach hotels!

Thanks Hans, HA does indeed mean Heitance Ahungula.

We eventually booked the Kani Lanka as the beach choice. I acutally prefered the look of the HA, but Reddots quote of £2460 for the Kani Lanka swung the deal !! The HA does look a nicer hotel and has a better beach, in my opinion, but the huge saving couldnt be ignored. There are a few pluses for the Kani Lanka, All inclusive and nearer the airport so a shorter journey when its time to come home.

Best wishes to all, and a 'BIG THANKYOU' to everyone who helped us make a decision. Roll on January 14th !

Caz x

8. Re: Ok, heres my short list of beach hotels!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2010, 05:15