We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aruvyedic treatments Sri Lanka

London
4 posts
Save Topic
Aruvyedic treatments Sri Lanka

Hi

I will be spending four days on the West Coast of Sri Lanka after a week of touring and would like to avail of the wonderful Aruvyedic treatments. Can anyone recommend places to go that are not western prices and the treatments are by qualified aruvyedic therapists where they are able advise on treatments, nuitrition, doshas etc. Doesnt need to be posh!

I look forward to hearing from you

Thank you

Marie

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aruvyedic treatments Sri Lanka

Marie, could you be a bit more specific when you say West Coast and Ayurvedic treatments. I do know of one Ayurvedic Doctor in the Negombo area but maybe by Ayurvedic treatment you are thinking of spa type treatments. Ayurvedic doctors will have spent at least six years in an Ayurvedic Medical College/University. Their training is every bit as rigorous as Western trained doctors and the courses share many of the same components. If you are interested in Ayurvedic medicine rather than spa treatments (offered in many hotels and resorts) then you should ensure that you see a properly qualified practitioner. I suppose in the West we would call them homeopaths. They will be able to offer a range of treatments and prescribe for you and will be safe, professional and ethical. Ayurvedic Doctors will also be likely to have a good knowledge of English, being highly educated individuals. I think you have to be very careful of some tourist oriented centres that will charge you huge sums of money for medicines that can be had for a fraction of the cost in other local outlets.

I hope this is of help.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aruvyedic treatments Sri Lanka

Thank you for your message. yes i am looking for less of the spa type aruyvedic but more the traditional aruyvedic doctor for general well being, to determine your doshas, detox massage treatment, circulation, energy sort of treatments. however keeping options open.

We will from travel up the coast from galle to colombo.

hope this is more helpful.

thanks

marie

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aruvyedic treatments Sri Lanka

Hi Marie,

You may find what you want on this site.

villadezoysa.com/docs/ayurveda-treatments-st…

I know , from the past that it's a serious ayurvedic establishment with highly qualified personel , not just one of the " slap some old oil on and you'll feel better " brigade.

It's located in Boossa which is just slightly north of Galle, so easy to get to.

Rod.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aruvyedic treatments Sri Lanka

Thanks Rod, i have emailed them and checking to see if they take guests for 1 or 2 days. Marie

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aruvyedic treatments Sri Lanka

This looks like an excellent outcome. In the meantime, I have e-mailed my Ayurvedic Doctor friend to ask how to check out whether practitioners are fully qualified. In this case it looks like the Centre's staff hold degrees in Ayurvedic Medicine from Colombo University and many have an international background. Might even try it myself, when I'm down that way. So do report back after your visit.

6. Re: Aruvyedic treatments Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 05:19