We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya

Is this hotel so bad? I read the reviews in the hotel section and is now wondering if we should opt for other hotels.

We were told that we need to top up another USD26 per night to stay at the new wing of the hotel. Since the reviews is so bad, not sure if it is really worth it.

Anyone stayed in this hotel recently? Thanks.

london
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya

Hi !

Try the Tea Factory Hotel. It is a very nice place with all amenities available.

Cheers !

Richard.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,328 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya

Agree with Tea Factory, but it's out of town (45 mins). St. Andrews, as much in town as Grand, is also good according to us AND most reviews. It's only 2 star so not aiming as high as the other two, but in our feeling you absolutely get what you pay for. Grand (old wing) we had horrible experiences in a few years back, sad they have still not upgraded that. That having said, in both the (numerous) bad reviews of Grand and the (few) ones about St. Andrews I sense lots of subjectivity - people that simply don't like Eliya and its nontropical (and often dismal) climate. No hotel quality can fight such an impression ....

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colchester
Level Contributor
899 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya

Yes, if you want a hotel around Nuwara Eliya that has up-to-date facilities then it has to be the Tea Factory - and it is a good hotel, about to be upgraded to Heritance status, I believe. However, it is a good way out of Nuwara Eliya town, as previously mentioned.

My approach to this part of Sri Lanka is quite different to anywhere else. I actually quite like the cold and often wet climate and the chance to snuggle down under blankets with a hotwater bottle after the tropical heat and humidity of other parts of the island. I also like its dated, colonial style and the hotels which very much reflect that. Yes, it is a bit faded and shabby, yes it belongs in the days of the British Raj but that's its appeal in my opinion.

If you don't like the possibility of cool, damp weather and slightly delapitated antiquity, then this place is not for you. If, on the other hand you hanker for a taste of Old Ceylon then head for the hills and book into St Andrews, Glendower, The Grand or perhaps the most colonial of them all, The Hill Club.

In my opinion no visit to Nuwara Eliya is complete without at least having dinner at the Hill Club. Fine dining it is not, fusion it is not, you are more likely to get a Steak and Kidney Pudding followed by a Spotted Dick and Custard but the experience is an unforgettable reminder of a long lost past - a drink in the men only bar, white gloved watiers, coffee and a cigar in the chintzy lounge by a roaring fire, followed by a game of snooker in the billiard room that is straight out of a Merchant Ivory film set. And if it is damp or raining outside all the better, there's that hotwater bottle to look forward to.

As a Brit writing this in the autumn, I am aware of the echoes in Nuwara Eliya and perhaps that is why I found myself retreating there so often during my period of residence in Sri Lanka. That said, on my tourist visits these days, I still long for the nostalgia of days I never knew but imagine I did. Long may its faded glory remain.

Mentioned in this post
Nuwara Eliya
Nuwara Eliya
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Glendower Hotel
Glendower Hotel
269 Reviews
Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka
The Hill Club
The Hill Club
716 Reviews
Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka
UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya

Hi,

I'm all for a bit of faded glory but certainly not for the Newara Eliya climate.

If I want cold and rain I can get it much cheaper at home in the Uk. For something between the heat and humidity of the lowlands and the often cold and wet Newara Eliya, I'd opt for somewhere with the altitude and surrounding beauty of Kandy.

Rod.

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
london
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya

Hi !

Getting Rooms at the Tea Factory, for some periods in the near future they are booked out, but you can get a few rooms, which are held in reserve, if you know whom to contact.

Cheers !

Richard.

6. Re: Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2010, 05:18