We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver Sands or Ocean View Guesthouses Negombo

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Silver Sands or Ocean View Guesthouses Negombo

I was expecting to stay in private accommodation, but that has fallen through. Silver Sands Negombo and Ocean View seem to be decent budget accommodation. Any thoughts and recent experiences. Main downside of Ocean View is that it is not on the beach side of the road, but is closer to Negombo township than Silver Sands.

Chris

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver Sands or Ocean View Guesthouses Negombo

Hi Chris,

I can't say anything about The Ocean View, never having used it but I have stayed at the Silver Sands.

As a budget guest house it's Ok . It,s friendly , the restaurant is good and well priced but when I stayed I felt the rooms let it down a bit. They were clean but evrything looked worn out.

As you probably know, there's plenty of small bars and restaurants, shops, etc, all around in that section of te road.

Another let down is the beach . Although the guest house opens out onto the beach,l it's a bit of a grubby area, with lots of rubbish thrown there.

As a possible alternative,

When I've been in Negombo,over the last few years I've stayed in the Oasis beach restaurant... A bit further from the town centre but , in my opinion much better.

go-lanka.com/Negombo/oasis_hotel/oasis_beach…

The rooms are bigger and brighter, staff friendly, restaurant good and it has a decent pool which is rare for the low budget cost.

Plenty of excellent restaurants with an easy stroll and also plenty of small bars, shops ,etc. The rear opens onto a much better, cleaner area of the beach.

Rooms are over three floors and the higher you go the better the rooms.

Rod.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver Sands or Ocean View Guesthouses Negombo

Hello Chris

I have recently stayed at both Ocean View and the one recommended by Rod, the Oasis. Cannot comment on Silver Sands.

Both Ocean View Guesthouse and Oasis Hotel are fine, but Oasis is by far the better value for money in terms of what you get. It offers a sea and beach view, a good swimming pool and we paid around Rs2500 for a good first floor ensuite double room with a balcony overlooking the sea and including breakfast.

We had one of the better rooms at Ocean View which came to around Rs1600 for the double room but break fast was around Rs350 extra per person.The rooms were broadly of the same standard as Oasis but lacked the sea front view.

They also arranged a taxi to the airport for us for Rs1200 which was very fair.

I would go for Oasis in future. Just one tip ... tell your taxi or tuk-tuk driver that you want the "O-ASSiss". If you ask for the "O-Aye-Sis" as you'd imagine it would be pronounced, they don't know what you are talking about!!!

Sue

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver Sands or Ocean View Guesthouses Negombo

Hi Sue,

Glad that you enjoyed your stay there..

To add to the address as far as the tuk tuk drivers go,,, Sue's pointing out the difference in our pronounciation to theirs is right but there's also another difference.

Many of the local tuk tuk drivers know the Oasis as the " Fish and Lobster ".

Probably because they have a sign up ,

" The Oasis Beach Hotel and Fish and Lobster Restaurant".

Coming from the airport or town directions just tell them that it's just past Browns beach on the same side of the road.

Rod.

4. Re: Silver Sands or Ocean View Guesthouses Negombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2010, 06:17