We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

london
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

Ok so I spent ages on TA checking hotels, tours, reviews etc etc etc and eventually settled on The Mermaid, Kalutara. Booked it with the travel company (HolidayGenie) BUT forgot to look at the quality of the airline Kuwait Air! Have since found some disturbing info eg 'worst airline in the world, steer well clear'. Anybody flown this route lately and can hopefully put my mind at rest or are they as bad as I have read? Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

Hi darnez,

Can I put your mind at rest ?.. depends on what you expect from your airline.

I booked with Kuwait, Heathrow to Colombo, in in 2009 March. Purely because they were so much cheaper than anyone else.

I then, a bit belatedly, went on the review sites and read up on what others were saying. Again, like you, I thought I'd really screwed up but having commited I just had to go through wiith it and take whatever I got.

The result was that I came out happy .. They did insist on a check in 4 hours in advance of the flight time which I thought was crazy, especially as I could only find that 4 hours rule appertaining to Heathrow.

Still, we duly checked in early, and boarded on time. The plane was obviously old and a bit worn but it was clean and the seats comfortable.

The seat back entertaininment was a joke. mine didn't work at all and from whatI could see, neither did most others so take a book to read.

Food was surprisingly good and the cabin staff helpful and smiling.

Flights out and return were on time.

I can't remember the seat pitch but it was as good as I've experienced with other airlines, better than some.

Since then, I've flown with them twice more.. Both times flights were comfortable and on time although on the last flight, about 2 months ago, the food was well below standard. I didn't eat it.

From my experience, the only bad points were the seat back entertainmenrt and some of the seats didn't recline properly.

Not by any means a good standard but I reckon if they can keep their prices lower than other airlines, I'd continue flying with them.

Rod.

london
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

Rod, cheers for that. Semi-comforting. I understand that Kuwait Air (and indeed Kuwait Airport) are alcohol free. Do they get upset if you take your own wee tipple on board? I wouldn't like to disrespect their culture issue if they are adamant but if they are happy to turn a blind eye then a couple of minatures to mix with their soft drinks may just help to ease the very lengthy passage from LHR to Sri Lanka. (especially if the on board entertainment is dodgy)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

HI,

As far as I have read on the internet the crew should be very strict on pax drinking their own alcohol on board the flights. You risk being offloaded.

Hans

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
719 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

Kuwait Airways is far better than a lot of airlines I have been with, the worst one being Royal Air Maroc.

I must say the no drink policy on board is very strict, you may well get searched prior to boarding the plane and may well be asked to leave it if you are seen flouting their rules and customs, really not worth it is it?

Its a goverment owned airline and there will be a lot of muslims on board and they would be very offended if you got alcohol out and drank it...best build up a thirst for the first cold one in Sri Lanka

Enjoy

Brighton
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

Hi all -

I know this is an old(ish) thread but can I chip in here for the benefit of anyone who like me (and, it seems, a fair few others!) booked with Kuwait Airways based on price and wondered if they would live to regret it?

It's fine. I read reviews with mounting dread but perhaps going in with such low expectations was a good thing, as I was very pleasantly surprised.

Booked ages ago for (I think!) a great price, was something like £329 a head from London to Colombo and with 4 of us travelling the savings really do add up.

I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but if you go onto the Kuwait Airways website before travelling, you can choose your seats (though you cannot actually check in on-line). Both their A340 and A300 have a 2-4-2 seat formation, I for one hate the middle 4 seats on a full flight so I chose 2 windows and 2 aisles, one in front of the other. Checked in at Heathrow less than 2 hours beforehand (snow and traffic!), no queue whatsoever and they had honoured the seat choices. Great. Kids in one row, husband and I in another. Bliss.

On the way back home a few days ago, arrived at Colombo 3 hours ahead of flight time, was given boarding cards and noticed that on the Kuwait-London leg whilst they had given us one of the sets of window/aisle seats we requested, they had changed the other request and put us into 2 seats on the other side of the aisle. Not a big deal but I complained a little (hey it was 3 in the morning and I was grumpy) and was told by the check in staff that there was nothing they could do from Colombo for the follow-on flight. When we got on to the Kuwait-London flight found the reason for the change - a man in a stretcher meant that a block of seats had effectively disappeared. Yes, I felt like a bit of a jerk for having complained.

Food was absolutely fine, better in fact than most airline food i've had in economy. Staff pleasant. Seats fine (more room on the A340) and on one of the 4 legs of the journey the entertainment system was kaput on 2 out of our 4 seats, otherwise fine. Had come prepared with nice long books so no big deal. Alcohol - yes I'm afraid that normally I do tend to rely on a couple of mini bottles of chardonnay to see me through but found that actually it was really nice to arrive without the usual dehydration.

Now for the real reason behind this opus...on the London - Kuwait flight my 13 year old managed to leave his new i-pod touch behind; it was a bit hectic as we were rushing to get to our onward flight. Didn't notice until we were in the air towards Colombo. Reported it at the desk in Colombo more in hope than expectation, and within a few hours had a phone call from Kuwait Airways to say they had found it, would we like them to send it on to Colombo, or would we prefer to pick it up in Kuwait on the way back? We chose the latter and and my son has now been reunited with his gadget. Would point out that whilst we were waiting at the desk in Kuwait, we also saw the cabin crew bring up a bag which they had just found on the flight from Colombo, containing i-pod, playstation, etc. which was then re-united with its owner. Nice customer service.

Sorry this is a bit longer than I intended but I just wanted to put anyone's mind at rest who might have been worried about their choice!

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

HI Kimba,

Thanks for that report..

It does counteract some of the terrible reviews that appear on the net for Kuwait airlines.

I found Kuwait much as you did, except that I didn't leave anything aboard the plane but that was good to hear.

I'm now searching the web for cheap ( ish ) flights for March / April and would be happy to fly Kuwait again if I can find the right one.

Rod.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

Hi Rod...

Hopefully you wil find a good deal, love to meet you and Val down there again April time...

Regards

Dave

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

Hi Dave,

If we can find a suitable flight, then we'll make a point of getting along to share a beer or two with you.

Hopefully, Treshi as well.

Rod.

MK
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

Hi guys

I am hoping to go early April too (1st trip) will the weather be ok or will the rain have started?

Thanks

Steve

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kuwait Air. Heathrow/Kuwait/Colombo

Hi Steve..

Weather will be great, lots of HOT sunny days, with a chance of some wet stuff later in day, towards end of April and into May it starts to get a little more unsettled...

Rod, of course Thush will be there, although she doesn't know this yet !!, a HUGE surprise coming her way :-)

Regards

Dave

Edited: 25 February 2010, 19:12