We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy temperature

U.K.
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kandy temperature

Have read before that Kandy and around is a lot cooler than the coast,is it by much or do i need something a bit warmer to wear at night?

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy temperature

Hi,

Night temperatures in Kandy will be around 20C in February. Day temperatures around 26-28C. So really no need to bring warmer clothes for Kandy.

N'Eliya is a total different story. There you will need warmer clothes as it can drop to close to 0C in the night.

Hans

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,572 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy temperature

Hmmm... tend to disagree about Kandy, and we've stayed there in all seasons. In summer indeed night temps not below 20'. In November through March it can get to 15'and the pools feel even cooler in early morning then! Still at the edge of whether one needs warmer clothes or not, but would bring them anyway for Eliya...

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
St Austell
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandy temperature

Siding with Erik on this. We had two decidedly chilly nights in Kandy in late January and although it is not cold like NE and Haputale, a thicker jumper and long trousers would have been more comfortable than the clothes we had with us.

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Haputale
Haputale
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kandy temperature

Well....

I have been to Kandy a couple of times in February and t-shirt and shorts were enough for me - even at night.

Hans

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kandy temperature

Hi,

I can't remember how many times I've been to Kandy, probably about 25 times, probably averaging about 3 or 4 days per visit and I've never felt the need for warmer clothes in the evenings.

However, I do know the temperature can do funny things. Last year, in Sigirya, the evening suddenly went very cold about 8 pm.It should have been about 25 degrees but all night stayed really cold and at breakfast we were all shivering.It felt almost frosty.

The locals all said they'd never experienced it before.

So, although I havn't experienced any cold nights in Kandy, I don't doubt it could happen.

I do know that the outdoor pool at the Thi Lanka Hotel can be very cold in mid afternoon after being in the hot sun all day.

Rod.

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
6. Re: Kandy temperature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 06:18