We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with 2 year old

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
traveling with 2 year old

We are traveling to Sri Lanka with our 2 year old daughter at the end of Feb for just over 2 weeks. We have booked a simple beach Cabana in Mirissa for most of our stay but want advice on a place to stay in between Colombo and Mirissa on the way in and out of Sri Lanka. Some thing no more then 1.5 hours to Colombo airport is ideal.

We would like a peaceful beach, with safe water and local village life during our stay. Is Mirissa the best option for this kind of holiday?

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling with 2 year old

Hi,

There's plenty of places that you could stay over to break the journey but not with beaches that I'd recommend for children.

I don't think there's anywhere , within 1 1/2 hours of the airport which has a beach I'd consider safe for a 2 year old.

Depending on the time of day you land, and would be travelling south, 1 1/2 hours may be only enough to get you about as far as Colombo . You could detour inland to miss some trafic but then you'd be nowhere near a beach.

The nearest place that I'd really expect the sea to be safe and comfortable for a little girl ( or boy ) would be the reef protected beach in Hikkaduwa but thats a town , not a village.. And,, once you'd got as far as Hikkaduwa I'd carry on to Mirissa.

There is a big plus with Hikkaduwa reef beach, and thats the turtles that come close inshore at the southern end of that beach. It's an unforgettable experience to have them swimming around your legs and being able to hand feed them with the light green weed that they come searching for.

However, between the airport and Hikkaduwa I reckon you'd be looking for a place with a pool rather than a beach that you could recommend is safe . You might be lucky and get there in a very calm weather spell with flat , calm seas but no guarantee.

Rod.

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling with 2 year old

Thanks for the info. Maybe somewhere inland on the way with a pool could be nice. Can you recommend anywhere? How far is Hikkaduwa from Colombo?

Is Mirissa a safe beach for children and swimming?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling with 2 year old

How about this one for your stopover ...

http://www.shangrilankavilla.com/

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling with 2 year old

Hikkaduwa is 100 km from Colombo City - add an extra 32 km for Colombo Airport.

You will only go inland while bypassing Colombo City. Otherwise it will be near the coastline all the way.

Hans

Edited: 28 January 2010, 17:40
5. Re: traveling with 2 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 16:10
6. Re: traveling with 2 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 07:16