We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scooters

cumbria
7 posts
Save Topic
scooters

We are going to SriLanka for the first time at the end of this month. We have been to Goa several times and while there, travelled quite extensively up and down the coast and inland on a hired scooter. Is it possible to do the same in SriLanka?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,032 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scooters

i am not sure how they drive in Goa, but the way they drive in Sri Lanka, no way i would hire any vehicle to drive by myself, would feel twice not safe in a scooter :)

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: scooters

Hi Bessy,

To answer your question,

Yes you can hire a scooter. nearest place that I know near the ai9rtport i9s in Lewis Place in Negombo. About 20 minutes from the airport. Hikkaduwa is another popular place to hire from.

A friend of mine hired a scooter in Hikkaduwa a couple of months ago, actually in November and told me he paid 500 rupees a day.

He said always to check the tires and brakes, stuff like that and also make sure you have a copy of the insurance to take with you.

The trafic can be completely manic but I suppose you've come across similar in India so have an idea what to expect.

I wouldn't fancy it around the Colombo area but from Hikkaduwa , along the south coast and up into the southern parts of the hill country the trafic is less .

Rod.

cumbria
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: scooters

Thanks Rod, yes traffic is quite mad in India too - but we always take great care. We are actually staying in Negombo so will look the hire company up. Regarding your reference to Colombo - would it be possible when it is not too busy, say early morning to drive through it in order to pick up the coast road down south? Another query we have is regarding somewhere to stay for a couple of nights in the south. Is there anywhere with beach huts or cheap accommodation where you could recommend us to stay?

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: scooters

Hello bessy,

It sounds to me like the Narigama end of Hikkaduwa would suit you.

At the southern end of Hikkaduwa , on the galle Road, about 1 mile or so from the town centre , if you walk ( or ride a scooter ) off the road to your right and on to the beach, you'll find an acluster of guest houses .

The beach there is wide and clean and goes on forever.

there's all you could want right there but if you walk back towards town, you'll find a few small bars and restaurants tucked away between the palms.

There's a DE, signs in as , ( musicsavedmylife) comes on here that knows the guest houses there better than me as I usually stay the other end of town and he can probably give you more detail as he stays there regularly.

When I said about not driving around the Colombo area, I meant it wouldn't be any fun as the trafic is manic but it's possible just keep a good radar unit going as they charge at you from all directions.

You do need a good road map which you could buy over the net before you travel if you wanted to.

One that I have is, just called " Arjun's Road Atlas Of Sri Lanka ", compilled by a guy called Dr.T.Somasekaram. It6's very good.

The book shop I bought it from in Negombo will reserve you a copy if you email them or they'd sell it over the net.

If you want to let me have your email address, I can scan off a street map of Colombo and send it to you plus scan off the publishers info .

Once you can see a good road map, if you wanted to you could bypass Colombo if you wished.

Rod.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scooters

hi ,just enquiring if you have already booked your accom in negombo .

i ask as as you mentioned goa ,and narigama /hikkaduwa has a goaish feel and a much nicer beach and sea than negombo which has a brown sea .

if you are goa lovers you may prefer this area which also has snorkelling and probably giant turtles in hikkaduwa ..

regarding the scooters ,well i ride a scooter in goa and i don't in sri lanka as the colombo galle rd is a main rd and often busy with large vehicles overtaking often , also it is easy just to hop on a bus which seem to pass every few minuites .it is certainly unrealistic to ride a scooter from negombo to hikkaduwa which is well over 100km and will take several hours.any way have a good one . i will probably be offline for a week or so as going on a little trip of my own..

if you are going to be travelling around ,it is worthwhile buying the lonely planet guide to sri lanka ..

dubai
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scooters

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if you need an international driver's permit or anything in order to rent a scooter/moped in Sri Lanka?

Thanks,

Melissa.

7. Re: scooters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2010, 05:15