We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking white water rafting

nottingham
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
booking white water rafting

hi,

can anyone tell me how i go about booking a white water rafting session at kitulgala?

do i just turn up/book in advance/ or get my driver to book it in advance?

it`s for 2 of us, we`re hoping to stay the night before at the royal river resort (still waiting to see if the driver - rammuni - has managed to book it for us) and then going to hikkaduwa after the rafting. we`ll be at kitulgala mid march.

are there alot of companies to pick from?

are they all safe to go with? (i`m a poor swimmer)

and last, any ideas how much it will cost?

thanks everyone, anita

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking white water rafting

Hi Anita...

Ask Rammuni to book it for you, he will call ahead and do that, "no problem" as they say down in Sri Lanka...

No idea about costs, and don't worry about safety, you will be well looked after there, mention your worries about safety to Rammuni ok...., he will mention it to the owners there.

Regards

Dave

nottingham
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: booking white water rafting

jeez mate, that was quick!

i`ll get onto rammuni to sort it then, will he know who to go to?

cheers, anita

nottingham
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: booking white water rafting

whilst we`re talking about rammuni, he`ll be our guide AND he`ll have another chap doing the driving, so have you an idea of how much to tip?

and will it be each or between them? we`ll be with them for 6 nights/7 days.

regards, anita

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking white water rafting

Hi Anita...

Tipping is entirely up to you, and ONLY for good service, and not because you feel you should.

A rate of 500 Rupees per day has been suggested here on Trip Advisor recently, and that would seem to be a fair amount, but to be honest it would not be fair on you, or me to suggest how much to tip.

Whatever you do tip, it will be very much appreciated, and yes, shared by driver and guide..

Regarding the rafting, yes Rammuni will know who to contact, leave all worries to him ok, it's your holiday :-)

Regards

Dave

Edited: 17 February 2010, 22:29
nottingham
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: booking white water rafting

thanks dave, you`re a star, regards anita

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: booking white water rafting

Hi Anita,

I was in Kitulgala in Oct, and among other things , went white water rafting.

I took the time to check prices etc, offered by quiteb a few outfits along the stretch where the rapids are.

I found the prices varied from 4500 rupees per person down to 1500 per person. All offering the same service.

The 1500 offer was the peoppe we went with and they were very good. Name is, The Adventure base Camp, Kalukohutenna, Kitulgala. Tel; 773-069903

The manager there is Johan .

All rafts have to be taken to the start point by road and then lowered down a steep wooded hillside into the river.

The wire hoist equipment for lowering the rafts is owned by the Base camp, thats why they can charge lower prices.

Don't worry about being a poor swimmer, you'll be issued a life jacket and a crash hat.

After the third set of rapids, I jumped into the river with my life jacket on and just body surfed through what was left of the fast water. The life jacket was fine for that.

The rapids are not very heavy but great fun.

Rod.

nottingham
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: booking white water rafting

thanks everyone, only 13 days to go !!!!!!! :-)

8. Re: booking white water rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2010, 05:17