We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security in Sri Lanka

Croatia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Security in Sri Lanka

Hi, Iam planing to travel to Sri Lanka on 7.5.2010! I was wondering about security (ex war and stuff...) ! Is there anyone that was in Sri Lanka in las few months . I would be very happy if you could tell me is it safe and in which parts...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,575 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security in Sri Lanka

Hi Iggy,

Have a look at THIS

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k340…

recent thread. Nothing to worry about, can travel everywhere though for the North (Jaffna etc.) you need a permit in advance to go there.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security in Sri Lanka

Hi,

From security assessments Sri Lanka is now safer than countries like Thailand, Turkey and Spain.

Hans

Croatia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Security in Sri Lanka

Thanks everybody for helping :)

I was surfing all over the web about Sri Lanka and was so happy that I'm going there , but then I so a web page of American goverment saying it is extrem high risk going there...

Now I am at peace againg.

if anybody that was in Lanka has anything to add please do so, becouse I thing many people are afraid to go ....

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security in Sri Lanka

Iggylanka

where are you staying / travelling to? we land on 5th so just ahead of you.

Croatia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Security in Sri Lanka

I still don't have a plan.

I would like to do a circle trip so we can little bit of everything (specially cultural stuff : architecture , art ,... and mountain area ).

West cost ,east cost and mountain area (Kandy , Ella ,Sigiriya...).

If you already have a plan please give me some advice about what you think is great to see/experience.

Croatia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Security in Sri Lanka

Hi everybody,

Can you recommend me some good companies for renting cars (without driver)!

I would like to rent a car for 15 days (whole vacation) and drive all around Sri Lanka (pick up at airport and release at airport)!

I would be very happy if you could send some links to web pages where I can see the prices and stuff...

Also if anybody can say what are the usual prices and what can I expect.

Thank you all...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,575 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security in Sri Lanka

Not much choice. A large one is www.malkey.lk

As every DE here in the forum would strongly advise AGAINST self-drive, calling it suicidal, no further details. Sorry. Reasons why we advise so have been given many times in the forum...

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Croatia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Security in Sri Lanka

I don' know.

I have a friend that was in Sri Lanka few months ago and she told me that they rened a car for two weeks and they had no problems.

Midlands
Level Contributor
289 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security in Sri Lanka

Hi, We have just returned (yesterday) from our 1st trip to Sri Lanka, We had a week at the Mermaid Hotel, 3 days tour, then a week at Browns Beach. The only places we went where there was high security was near official buildings in Colombo and at the Temple of the Tooth. As for driving I would not recommend it, even the safer drivers there drive like racing car drivers, it is safer to go with a tour guide/driver and the cost cheap. Also from what we saw navigating would also be a problem once out of the city. Enjoy your holiday, we did.

George

Croatia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Security in Sri Lanka

So ,

just to be on the safe side , can you tell me a bit more details about east Sri Lanka!

We are coming to Lanka while there is a west monsoon , so we are thinking of relaxing on the eastern beaches (Arugam Bay, Trincomalee, Nilaveli,....).

As I understood this places where in the war under Tamil control?

Is it safe now for a couple to travel there and enjoy some son?

Please send as many info as you can!

And thank you all for great help :)