We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What essentialsdo I need to shop for?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
What essentialsdo I need to shop for?

Hi we're going for a week in may, Do I need to buy a really high sun factor, and mozzy room spray as well as spray for me?

And should I take any tummy pills or anything like that?

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What essentialsdo I need to shop for?

Hi Moomin,

even in May, which is tradionally a wettish month, you'll still get some very hot sun. So do take a high factor sunscreen and a good mozzie repellant. It's not just mozzies you're guarding against.

I don't think Sri Lanka is bad at all compared with many tropical countries that I've visited but there are some nasty little critturs out there.

The room spray, depends on where you're staying and the action of thr hotel. Some will spry rooms for you.

Room spray is easy and cheap to buy over there.

Tummy pills, ? Probably best to have something in your bag . In all our travels out there we havn't needed any and we eat , mainly in little local cafes, etc. Literally, where the Sri Lankans eat and we've never had a problem.

I still carry Immodium, just in case and also an anti hystemine , just to take the sting / itch out of any bites .

Rod.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,882 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What essentialsdo I need to shop for?

and also, i always carry my little med case.

especially when drinking that fantastic papaya juice, some places use water, and that always gets me sick.

and in Sri Lanka they have a habit of having REALLY HIGH AC ALL OVER THE PLACE. vehicles, shops, hotels.

in the car now our guide knows us well so as soon as we get in he turns the ac off. and also in hotels as soon as we walk in to the room we turn the ac off, but when you go in to big shops in Colombo to do some shopping, the ac is really nasty. that always gave me problems so i always carry some antibiotics with me in case i hit a high temp :) better have and not need than need and not have :)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What essentialsdo I need to shop for?

Hi,

UV-factor is 9+ year round in Sri Lanka, so SPF20 (SPF 30 for fair skin) is recommended.

Hans

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What essentialsdo I need to shop for?

Thats really helpful, thanks guys.

5. Re: What essentialsdo I need to shop for?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 05:17