We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort to use as base for exploring

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best resort to use as base for exploring

We would like to spend a week in Sri Lanka, during this time we would like to visit at least one of the nature parks, see some of the cultural/heritage sites and possibly a day in Colombo. Ideally we would to be based at a beach resort, where is the best resort to be based to explore as much as possible?

Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort to use as base for exploring

Hi,

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

Distance wise Negombo will be the best resort, but unfortunately Negombo does have the best beaches in Sri Lanka.

The better beaches are south of Kalutara, which means an extra 2 hours drive to e.g. Kandy and Cultural Triangle but to hours less to e.g. Yala National Park.

Hans

Antarctica
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort to use as base for exploring

Hi,

A beach in the south coast (Unawatuna, Mirissa, Tangalla) would be the best to visit Yala or Uda Walawe National parks. But impossible to use as a base for the cultural triangle area. But there are some cultural sites of significance in the southern areas as well although not as well known as the ones in the CT. Better do a round trip before ending up at a desired beach resort.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort to use as base for exploring

What are the significant cultural sights in the south we are staying in bentota september and like culture. Any suggestions welcomed.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort to use as base for exploring

i believe Hans meant to say that negombo does not have the best beaches in sri lanka, and he would be correct.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best resort to use as base for exploring

yes, of course it should have been:

but unfortunately Negombo does NOT have the best beaches in Sri Lanka.

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best resort to use as base for exploring

Hi,

I agree with all of the above. Easiest beach type place from which to visit the cultural triangle is the Negombo beach area.

I also agree that Negombo isn't the best beach but when I was there a few weeks ago, I was struck by how much the beach in Negombo has been cleaned up.

Plus, apart from swimming, which isn't good in the sea at Negombo, the beach itself, has other things going for it.

It's a very wide beach which means that there's always something going on there. If you use the beach to sit and sunbathe you'll find there's usually local lads with a football match or Cricket match going on to watch and even take part if you want to join them.

Even from there, to visit the cultural triangle and visit one of the national parks in that area it'd still be best to make it a 2 day trip with an overnight stop.

Rod.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best resort to use as base for exploring

I would suggest A beach resort in bentota or even unawatuna. staying in bentota will also enable you to visit Galle...and the Galle fort on a day trip ...(UNESCO world heritage site).....bentota has in addition to one of the best beaches.....the bentota river....where river boat rides etc can be taken...some will even take you to a couple of temples on the trip!

If you really want culture then the best is to go up to the cultural triangle area for at least 2-3 days...maybe stay in Sigiriya....and visit the ancient cities of anuradhapura, pollonnaruwa and the dambulla caves before ending up on the beach either in negombo or down south!

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best resort to use as base for exploring

Thanks everybody for your help, I think either Bentota or maybe a twin centre type trip. Just need to book it now, exciting!

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best resort to use as base for exploring

what month are you coming and what do you like to do on the beach? swimming, snorkelling , lying around reading a book . do you like beach beds and restaurants on the beach etc? what sort of hotel are you looking for?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
242 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best resort to use as base for exploring

Just a thought - I agree no the best beaches are found at Negombo. Maybe a good compromise is a hotel with a nice pool. I thought the pool area at the Camelot Hotel, Negombo was quite nice. If your a European based travelor the beaches are possibly a bigger issue. If you really want to see nice beaches (lacking the tropical warmth lof the tropics) are the beaches around Esperance on the south coast of WA, they are just stunning.

http://www.google.com/images?q=esperance+beaches&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=NkfxS-W7M4XOsgPhj9C2Dw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCMQsAQwAA

Sorry for the rave.

Chris