We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hortons plain or Sinharaja rain forest ?

Montreal
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hortons plain or Sinharaja rain forest ?

Doing a tour of Sri Lanka, cultural triangle, hills, yala park and beaches.

We have time for one more stop should we do Hortons plain, Sinharaja rain forest orUda Walawe or Wasgomuwa national park.

What would interest more teenagers after Yala Park?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,311 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hortons plain or Sinharaja rain forest ?

Horton or Sinharaja, the other two are too much like Yala. Difference is in the climate zone: Sinharaja is fully tropical and also has sometimes STEEP climbs, HP is more Scottish with also a nice waterfall and a huge vista (World's End) which however requires quite an early rise to be certain that it'll not be obscured by fog/clouds. Also Sinharaja has much more 'wildlife' but it's mostly upto the size of snakes, frogs, birds and butterflies; you can see it from closeby though.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hortons plain or Sinharaja rain forest ?

I'd say Sinharaja. You could go to Horton Plains and not see very much in the way of wildlife, the view at World's End could be obscured and it is really not that much different to being on Dartmoor. Sinharaja on the other hand is true tropical rain forest and a genuine jungle adventure. You also get a guide and in my experience they are extremely knowledgable.

David.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,208 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hortons plain or Sinharaja rain forest ?

i chose Sinharaja over Horton anyday! :)

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hortons plain or Sinharaja rain forest ?

Sinharaja for me too. Hortons Plains can be a bit bleak, especially when the mist rolls in, and is of more interest to, say, botanists than the general tourist, whereas Sinharaja is thrilling for all with its amazing wildlife and jungle sounds ... as long as you can cope with the leeches!

Sue

5. Re: Hortons plain or Sinharaja rain forest ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 07:16