We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

We are planning on spending 2 nights in Dubai, flying onto Sri Lanka for 5 nights and then heading off to the maldives for 7 nights for our honeymoon starting 1st September.

We have chosen The Kani Lanka in Kalutara for our Sri Lanken based hotel. We would then do a couple of trips to see some things that we want to see.

We would like to stay somewhere that feels quite luxurious as it is our honeymoon.

Does this hotel sound like a good choice or is there better for roughly the same kind of price?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

Hi there,

Yes the KL has a good price/quality ratio. But no, if you're going to the Maldives beaches afterwards I would NOT recommend a Lankan beach site too. It would get a bit boring. Also sightseeing is much easier in the inland areas of Lanka than the coast.

Luxurious but still cost-effective inland places could be:

* Sigiriya Village hotel or Cinnamon Lodge Habarana in the 'Cultural Triangle' area

* Earl's Regency, Citadel or (more remote and more lovely honeymoon-like) Hunas Falls in/near Kandy

To get a glimpse of all that Lanka can offer, on Youtube watch the videoclip 'Save a Prayer' by Duran Duran. It doubles as a 6 minute commercial for the country.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

Hi Claire

As you are heading off to the Maldives afterwards, why are you looking to stay in a beach hotel for the Sri Lankan part of your honeymoon? Sri Lankan beaches are nice enough, but don't really compare to those in the Maldives.

What Sri Lanka DOES have is absolutely amazing inland scenery and attractions. I would ditch the idea of the Kani Lanka and head to one of the inland hotels instead. You can choose from the Cultural Triangle (look at hotels at Habarana in particular, for good hotels in the Kani Lanka price range, although there are some even more spectacular ones if you want to blow the budget). Alternatively, for a beautiful mountain retreat, consider the Hunas Falls Hotel in the Knuckles Mountains between the cultural triangle and Kandy. It's popular with Sri Lankan honeymooners, but is a bit remote if you want to do any touring from there. Kandy town is another area to consider as you can do a lot of trips from a base here, either towards the popular sites in the Cultural Triangle (2.5 to 3 hours drive away), around Kandy itself (Elephant Orphanage, Temple of the Tooth, Botanical Gardens) or south into the mountains of the hillcountry with its tea plantations and waterfalls.

Sue

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

"Snap" Erik! I think we are of the same mind on this one ;-)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

Our main reason for chosing a beach hotel was so we could spend some time relaxing in the sunshine.

Are there any good 4*, maybe even 5* hotels that you would recommend we could stay at that wouldbe closer to the elephant orphanage than we would be in Kulatara and that is not going to be too unrealistic to get to from the airport as we will only be there for 5 days.

Thank you so much for your help.... trip advisor is such a great place to learn about what you want out of a holiday

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

Hi there,

Any inland hotel in the CT-Kandy area is as close to the airport (3-4 hours) as Kalutara is.

Now that you put 4 stars as minimum our list would be:

* Cinnamon Lodge and Chaaya Village, Habarana

* Heritance Kandalama, Dambulla (or Vil Uyana or Elephant Corridor in same area but these are 6+ stars and probably outside your budget)

* Earl's Regency, Citadel or Amaya Hills in Kandy

All are close enough to Pinawela elephant orphanage, the Kandy ones of course more so than the Habarana and Dambulla ones.

All the best ,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

Are you still considering a beach stay? If so, the Jetwing Beach Hotel at Negombo might suit.

I would still head to Kandy though, as it's only a morning's drive to the airport and an hour's drive from the Elephant Orphanage and would provide a complete contrast to the Maldives for you. Amaya Hills, Earls Regency, Mahaweli Reach, the Citadel .. these are all hotels around Kandy you could take a look at to see if they offer you what you want, although if you are after pure luxury, smaller boutique hotels might be a better bet. Red Dot Tours has a good choice for you to browse through .. here is its Kandy selection showing all categories:

reddottours.com/77/kandy-accomodation-locati…

Luxurious hotels in the Cultural Triangle include the Kandalama, Vil Uyana and crazily priced places like Elephant Corridor, although I'd be more than happy with the excellent Cinnamon Lodge or Chaaya Village at Habarana, or Sigiriya Village Hotel with its amazing gardens and grounds. Even if you don't want to explore, you can enjoy the settings in these places, relax by the pool, enjoy the jungle and be surrounded by wildlife like dozens of monkeys and wild elephants. The Cultural Triangle is around a 3.5/4 hour drive from the airport.

Sue

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

Claire,

i would also suggest an inland hotel, i would pick Heritance in Dambulla over any hotel, specially because September weather at the beach is not going to be the best, since you will be heading to Maldives afterwards anyways :)

Poland
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

Hi

I would confirm what others have just said ! In Sri Lanka go inland !

First of all, many hotels are beach located but not many have private beaches which means you should not literally even poke your head on a public beach! I am staying at Blue Water and I have never used the beach! The hotel does not even have its sunbeds on the beach !!! I am travelling with Kuoni and they had not told me that !!! Very disappointed !

Have a lovely honeymoon!

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

Claire,

I agree with all the suggestions to head inland for you five days in Sri Lanka, it will be a very pleasant contrast to the Maldives.

You could divide your time between two places/hotels in that time and again I agree that the cultural triangle has the most to offer in terms of things to see and do but I will offer another alternative too, a bit later.

Kandy is an obvious centre, and close to the Elephant Orphanage. To be honest, I am not that keen on any of the 'better' class hotels in Kandy, all seem quite touristy, which I suppose is what you'd expect but probably not what you would want. The alternative is to look at more boutique places in Kandy such as The Kandy House or Theva Residency. The first of these is a traditional Sri Lankan 'manor' house and the latter a chic, minimalist small hotel overlooking Kandy town. Both are 15 to 20 minutes from the town.

http://www.thekandyhouse.com/

http://www.theva.lk/

These two will be quite expensive (book through an agent not independently to get the best deals) so if you want something a bit less expensive you could try Hunas Falls or Rangala House. Hunas Falls is a favourite for Sri Lankan honeymooners and the setting is fantastic, with lovely gardens and waterfalls. The hotel itself is of a reasonable standard, say an international 3* but not ultra luxurious. Rangala House is a small (three rooms) converted tea estate bungalow, with stunning views and a lovely garden with a nice pool. This place is run by a British ex-pat and the hospitality is fantastic. Amazing food and rather like staying in someone's very comfortable private home. You can just chill out or the owners will organise activities for you that are not the standard tourist attractions. Both of these places are an hour’s drive from Kandy but they are pleasant drives.

www.jetwinghotels.com/jetwinghunasfalls/

http://rangalahouse.com/

Moving on to the heart of the Cultural Triangle, one possible base to look at is the Kandalama Hotel. This is a large tourist hotel but its location and design make it special. An eco-hotel built in a wildlife area, it is sculpted into the rock on the edge of a beautiful lake. The hotel is terraced and covered with trailing plants that camouflage it. Rooms are very comfortable and make the most of the views, with floor to ceiling windows, even in the bathroom, where you can sit in your jacuzzi and watch the troops of monkeys walking past. Three pools, one infinity which seems to join the lake, one a secluded pool carved out of the rock. Food is good, with a fine dining restaurant near the top of the hotel, otherwise international buffets. Lots of activities can be arranged: elephant rides, being paddled across the lake, nature walks as well as trips to near by Sigiriya Rock. Despite its size this could make for a very romantic centre. Go for a deluxe room as these have a jacuzzi bath.

http://www.heritancehotels.com/kandalama/

For something totally different you could go to the Tea Country and stay in a planter’s bungalow. Two choices here, one ultra expensive and world class, the other much less expensive but a real gem.

Tea Trails are four converted planters’ bungalows, restored to the highest standards and offering a level of service and accommodation like nothing else in Sri Lanka. All inclusive from tea in bed, to four meals per day, plus complimentary drinks, there is literally nothing else to pay for. There are marked or guided walks/cyle rides through the tea estates, with ravishing views. Very select and a maximum of six rooms per bungalow. If you like you can stay at more than one, walking between them. Reviews are consistently overwhelmingly good and this group exceeded all my expectations and my expectations were very high given the price.

Like this idea but not the price tag? Well, my latest discovery was Kelburne Moutain View Cottages in Haputale. Again converted planters’ bungalows but these just as the planters left them, thirty five years ago. The best mountain views in all Sri Lanka in my estimation and hospitality, like I've never seen - you get your own butler (mine was Ravi and he could not do enough to make our stay memorable) and chef and your own cottage. Aerie Cottage is the best, so named because eagles swoop past the terrace, two bedrooms and bathrooms, a sitting room and dining room and a small library. Total peace and quiet and lovely gardens where they grow their own produce. All this for about £90 per night for the two bedroomed cottage. (food extra but modestly priced) This place so lovely, I almost don't want to tell others about it.

http://www.teatrails.com/

http://www.kelburnemountainview.com/

So, some more food for thought. Do PM me if you want anymore details regarding these places. I know it is very hard to imagine what places are really like and when it is your honeymoon you want to get it just right.

David.

10. Re: Is this a good place for a honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2010, 05:17