We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for "natrual" beauty in Sri Lanka

London, England
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for "natrual" beauty in Sri Lanka

Hello forum users and Experts

I have just come back from "Man Made" Dubai and have been told over the course of the week holiday to travel to Sri Lanka for a holiday of "Natural" beauty.

By the way the people at the beach side in Dubai were from Sri Lanka and have sold me the idea. Top marks to them all...

I am looking to come over to Sri Lanka maybe in January / Feb next year. Is this a good time to come? but i like to plan in advance so that i have something to look forward to.

This is what both me and my wife are looking to do.... I don't mind where in Sri Lanka and am looking to spend around £1000 per person (This DOES NOT include flights). for around 2 weeks. We are both young (29 and 27) and like to do activities as well as chilling out

We are looking for

1 - Beach Holiday

2 - Elephant Trail

3 - Charity work (idealy working for young adults maybe teaching for a few hours per day or helping where we can)

4 - Safari park

I know it sounds like a lot to do in 2 weeks but i have done more when i have traveled to India. We also like to help out local communites

If you need any more information please let me know..

Any help would be really good...

Thanks

Paresh

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for "natrual" beauty in Sri Lanka

Hi Paresh

January and February are the best two months of the year to visit Sri Lanka and you should get fine, sunny weather throughout. It is also slightly cooler than at other times, although still very hot, with the exception of the high mountain areas where it can be chilly enough to require a jumper in the evenings.

With two weeks, you can cover a large part of Sri Lanka due to its diminutive size and this is long enough to have a tour of the main parts of interest which are all inland, and also have a little time on the beach at the end. I will leave the charity work part to others to answer as I have no experience of this, and of course, this will eat into your available time but a possible two week itinerary could be as follows:

Start with a few nights in the Cultural Triangle area. This is about 3.5/4 hours drive from the airport and includes many famous ancient sites and cities. It is also an area rich in wildlife so there's a good chance of seeing a wild elephant too, and certainly if you visit a national park such as Minneriya. However, for a better chance of seeing a greater variety of wildlife, including leopards, I would do my safari at Yala National Park in the south east instead if you are heading that way during your stay. The Cultural Triangle is also a good place to have an elephant ride at either Habarana or Sigiriya which are good bases for your stay in this area.

After this, head south for 2.5 hours or so to reach Kandy city. It is a good place to break your journey and has a number of attractions as well as being in a beautiful area of Sri Lanka. For more elephants, captive this time, there's the popular if touristy elephant orphanage just over an hour's drive away, and in Kandy itself you should see the famous Temple of the Tooth and outstanding Botanical Gardens.

Next, head southwards again through the mountains of the hillcountry with its tea plantations and waterfalls. If you like walking, you should allow a couple of nights here at least. I can advise you further if required. After this it is another few hours on the road to reach the south east. I recommend a stop at the fascinating pilgrimage town of Kataragama with its daily poojas in the Sacred Precinct. This town is also a good base from which to do the Yala safari I mentioned.

From here, you are now close to the lovely beaches of the south coast .. for me, the prettiest of all Sri Lanka's beaches by far. You might like to allow another night on the west coast somewhere to break the long-ish journey back to the airport at the end.

If you are interested in being more active, you could incorporate whitewater rafting at Kitulgala, a visit to the rainforest at Sinharaja or a night time ascent of the sacred mountain of Sri Pada into your itinerary. I can give more details if you want them. Obviously, how much you do will depend on the charity work part of your stay and with only two weeks in all, you will have to plan your time quite carefully, but the above gives you a few ideas to choose from.

All the best

Sue

2. Re: Looking for "natrual" beauty in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2011, 06:16