We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best type of food in Sri Lanka?

ISLAMBAD PAKISTAN
Level Contributor
420 posts
779 reviews
Save Topic
Best type of food in Sri Lanka?

I shall be travelling to SL with kids in August.

Please advise me about what kind of food we should eat and what we should avoid in the heat.

We also need some suggestions about vegetarian and seafood dishes as we eat only halal meat .

We plan to travel to Mirissa, Kandy, Nuwara Eliya and Ella.

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,863 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best type of food in Sri Lanka?

Hi again,

As long as it's baked/grilled fresh before delivery for you, coming from another South Asian country, I would not worry too much about being too spicy. There's plenty of local restaurants, including the 'Muslim hotels' that are Halal only and 'vegetarian hotels' which are generally run by devout Tamils.

Raw food, esp. peeled/cut like salads or fruit, is NOT recommended in any other area than an upmarket hotel restaurant because only they can stay within strict Western-style hygienic rules. Fruit from the street which you peel yourself is okay, of course. Neither is drinking water recommended, also not the stuff in the local restaurants; use bottled mineral water instead.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

ISLAMBAD PAKISTAN
Level Contributor
420 posts
779 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best type of food in Sri Lanka?

Dear Erik,

Can you kindly suggest a few good eateries?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,863 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best type of food in Sri Lanka?

Hmmm... more for others as in most of these towns we eat in our hotel. Kandy I can vote for Devon Rest (different from Devon hotel); it's in the main street next to a few banks. Good restaurant, popular with locals _and_ tourist and pricewise cheap for tourists and on the high end for locals.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best type of food in Sri Lanka?

Eating vegetarian in Sri Lanka is not difficult and there are Muslim restuarants in many towns. My recommendation in Kandy would be Rams Restaurant in Colombo Street - very good Tamil food here and easy to get vegetarian. Everything is cooked to order so no problems with freshness or quality but you might have to wait a little when they are busy. Prices are very reasonable about $5 per head. In Nuwara Eliya, I recently tried the new Indian restuarant at the Grand Hotel. This is at the gates to the hotel not in the hotel itself but is run by the Grand. Reasonable rice and curry in clean surroundings and again the price was good; without drinks the bill for four people at lunch time was under $25. A Thali ( rice and various curries) was $5.

Happy eating.

David.

5. Re: Best type of food in Sri Lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 06:16