We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

I had no idea there were so many things i could catch or be infected with!

Why dont the powers that be just spray the mosquitoes and be rid of them as in southern France where the mosquito population reached

epidemic proportions

i must have:

Vaccinations for japanese encephalitis,Rabies,Dengue fever,Typhoid,meningitis,cholera,tetanus,typhus,malaria&hepatitisA,B,C,D,E,F,

Hepatitis ive read can be got by taking my shoes off??another by eating another by drinking!!??

And snake bites its seems are very common now?Leeches to "cling to your shoe then climb your leg until they find skin & blood!!

Is it that bad??

And what about the loos?? Last week while in Aix-en-provence i found two large black flys under the loo seat one morning,what might be found under ones in the tropics??(it was tropical this week in Aix)

I found an even longer list of vaccinations in south east asia on a shoestring what do i realy need????

A rabies shot hurts & im told its not 100% it will protect

Also im not sure that DEET which has been banned by sweeden for being very carcinogenic is a good idea,however when i met a flight of swedish mosquitoes i would have gladly risked DEET

Perhaps i better just go to Folkstone or Menton ?

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

They're not so exciting though, are they?!

No, you really don't need all of that great long list of vaccinations, certainly not for the average tourist visit to Sri Lanka. Look at the most current advice given on the Fit-for-Travel website and you will see that the recommended vaccinations for most visitors are:

Tetanus (which you may well already be protected against) and Hep. A.

In addition, you could consider:

Typhoid

Diphtheria

The others are normally not required, unless you are staying for a long time in very simple accommodation/rural areas, or in close contact with animals in the case of the rabies one.

Toilets are fine in and around tourist hotels and restaurants. Outside of this they can be the local squat variety, but I've seen just as bad in France!

You really don't have to worry about snake bites. You're unlikely to see a snake at all unless you go into the jungles or through paddy fields. They stay well clear of people.

Leeches aren't very pleasant but they are harmless and again, you won't see any unless you are in the hillcountry or rainforests and venture off paths.

Yep, I know the argument against Deet, but I am far more afraid of malaria and dengue, so I am happy to use my repellent containing deet for the short time that I am in Sri Lanka each time.

So forget Folkestone and go to Sri Lanka where I can guarantee you will have a wonderful time and won't give any of the things mentioned in your post a thought once you are there and having taken the FEW necessary precautions before your holiday.

All the best

Sue

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-%28eas…

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

Hi there,

Just trying to give some facts: jabs which are generally advised and why

Hep-A: drinking water and food, EVEN AFTER BOILING/BAKING. Just too uncomfortable for our stomachs...

Typhoid: more or less ditto, though some doctors/nurses only recommend taking it if you stay longer than 2 weeks

Tetanus: for outside infected dust reaching your blood in case of small scratches, wounds caused by falling etc. etc.

So NONE of these coming from insects! All others mentioned are either not needed for tourists or not existing; dengue (latter category) is a serious risk but not preventable by a jab. Instead, by using skin protection including DEET...

Other things, like Rabies or Hep-B, would only be relevant if you went into very specific situations. Same for malaria, which is only in very specific areas most of them not-touristy.

And yes authorities are doing their best to prevent the mozzies, but there are limitations - e.g. the country being poor, and some spraying hurting the two-legged animals as much or even more than the six-legged ones. Leeches are not 'harmful' (disease-bringing) but of course nasty, but solely appear at specific places which can be avoided; and even more so for snakes.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

Yes indeed Mentons hot & humid So Sri Lanka it will be,ill have to find a Doctor

What is "hepatitis"?Is it something we recover from?I seem to remember someone saying hepatitis "x" once contracted can damage the liver???

Typhoid i believe can be treated with tables that can be taken daily it kills the bacteria?I will have to inform myself quickly

I always travel with shorts & tea shirt perhaps i should take long sleeve shirt & long trousers??What DO the locals wear??A mosquito bite for them will be as bad as for us.

Where can i buy DEET?? When i last asked i was told it had been banned??Im a bit vague as i never thought about it since sweeden

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

Hepatitis is potentially fatal. Jabs are a LOT more effective than treatment afterwards.

Typhoid same, DO take the jab. What you're talking about is possibly malaria, here is more of a debate between (preventive) tablet takers and opponents also because usually tourists only touch the risk area for a few days.

Skin creams with DEET are freely available in all European countries that we know off...

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

With regard to clothing, shorts and tee-shirts will be fine most of the time. Take longer trousers for temple visits and for dinner in your hotels .. and it's also worth wearing a light long sleeved shirt in the evenings to help prevent insect bites, especially in the Cultural Triangle or lowland national parks where there is a slight risk of encountering malaria carrying mosquitoes.

Local men either wear sarongs or long sleeved trousers, and wear shirts, either long or short sleeved. Clothing is more casual in young people, especially in the coastal resorts where they usually wear longer shorts or cropped trousers, with tee shirts, much as they do in the West.

Buy a mosquito repellent suitable for use in tropical countries, making sure it contains deet.

Sue

honolulu, hawaii
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

We wear Buzz-Off clothing from Ex-officio and only use deet on hands, neck and face. You can "charge" your clothes to be bug protected before you go (like socks). There are great products out there, We use Off wipes for the face- gentle on skin. We have been in a lot of deep jungles and never been biten.

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

"Hepatitis is potentially fatal. Jabs are a LOT more effective than treatment afterwards.OH!!"

Im afraid the jabs could make me sick,none have ever done yet but!Though death from not having a jab puts it in another perspective

Im online for a few days more im going to look at it & ask the pharmacy

Ive got my things a bag sorted out & have spent a lot of time looking at what camera/MP3 perhaps laptop to take with but didnt think of extra vaccinations until my SE asia on a shoestring & Rough guide to Sri Lanka arrived!

Death from hepatitis!! I hope its just one jab? I think i read 3 over a month??

Im in shock!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

Hep-A is only one jab if you want it for a shorter period (Gammaglobulin) and 2 jabs over the course of 6-12 months, so also after the trip, if you want it for 10 years validity. And yes, a Lankan local close family member of Sandya _did_ die from the Hepatitis, after ignoring it too long but also because the medicines at that late stage did not help too much anymore...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,305 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

Hey Travler

You seem to have gotten yourself into a real tailspin with all the terrors about what could befall you outside your own country. I tend to think that if you're as worried as your post sounds, you really need to rethink the trip, or else you'll no doubt be miserable the whole time.

Sri Lanka is a wonderful country and certainly didn't hold any of the terrors of illness or death that you've described. We simply went, took our deet spray (which we used once) and had an absolutely wonderful holiday. We didn't see any snakes, bitey ones or otherwise, didn't have any leeches crawling up our legs into our nether regions, didn't find any queer things under the toilet seats, didn't get bitten by any dogs or mosquities and enjoyed the food immensely.

I do hope it all works out for you and you have a wonderful trip.

Travelkat

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which vaccinations?is it such a risk?

To put things in perspective, I lived a perfectly healthy local lifestyle for three and a half years. I saw a poisonous snake once, was bitten by leeches very occasionally and in specific locations, and suffered an upset stomach just a couple of times, probably fewer than I would have done in the UK over the same period. Take sensible precaustions and there is no need to let the fear of illness spoil your holiday.

David.