We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Hello. I am travelling to SL from the UK. Can anyone tell me what it will cost me to use my RBS debit card to withdraw cash over there? I can ask my bank what it will charge, but will the SL banks charge as well? On a similar note - can anyone tell me what if anyhting the banks there charge to change AMEX stirling travellers' cheques?

Most grateful, Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Hi,

Sri Lankan banks do not charge for using ATM cards - only your own bank.

The charges for travellers' cheques (TCs) vary from bank to bank.

Commercial Bank charges 1% for cashing travellers' cheques (TCs).

Hatton National Bank charges a transaction fee of LKR 250 + a government tax of 0.1% for cashing TCs.

The exchange rates for TCs is slightly higher than for cash.

Hans

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Hi marko

using cards in SL is not the best thing due to extensive fraud see FCO advice. The best option by far is cash or TCs

have a good holiday

richard

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

I have had my MasterCard cloned twice in Sri Lanka, but I will still use cards for getting cash, but in future only in banks and ATMs.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,819 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Agree with Hans. TC's and cash both cost extra time (esp. TC's at smaller bank offices) and generally also higher fees c.q. worse rates. We could not live without ATM card in Lanka, and really ONLY use it in bank ATM's; never any cloning for the last 10+ years in tens of visits...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Hi there....

IF !! your bank does NOT charge for issue of Travellers Cheques, then that's the route i would and do use, safer and cheaper that way..

Regards

Dave

Bristol
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

Wow, what a welter of information! Thank you all. I now feel like I shall know what I'm doing.

Marko1965

england
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

are there atms at the airport to use straight away

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

Hi Charley,

Yes there's a couple of ATM,s there. There may be some inside but I've used the ATM,s set in the wall just outside of the front door.

Rod.

Maidstone
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

You can get Sri Lanka rupees in UK before travelling out - is this better to do and is the rate better than changing sterling or dollars out in sri lanka

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,819 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money

No, DON'T do that. Max. allowed to bring into the country is a lousy Rs 5,000 - and the rate for buying them abroad tends to be 30-50% worse than the local one. Also avoid dollars if you're from UK, simply bring Sterling and change in Lanka. Airport banks are open 7 x 24 hours...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]