We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

North East England
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

Went to Sri Lanka last year and spent a fair amount of time seeing the ancient cities and then spent a few days down the South.

This time we are hoping to visit the hills etc and wanted to know how feasible this itinary is

days 1 and 2 in Colombo

day 3 travel to Kandy (via Kegalle) early doors and spend one night in Kandy

day 4 travel to Nuwara Eliya (hoping to use this as a base for 2 nights)

day 5 Adams Peak

day 6 Ella

day 7 set off to Hikkaduwa (for a week visiting the likes of Mirissa, Galle and Unawatuna)

Didnt know how close Ella is to Nuwara Eliya. Would we be able to do this as a day out ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

David

Edited: 26 July 2010, 18:39
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

Hi David,

Any special reasons why you want to spend 2 days in Colombo? Not much to see/do there, except shopping.

Distance from Nuwara Eliya to Ella is about 60 km - 1.5 hours drive, so possible to do as a day trip. However, I would prefer to stay in Ella and not in Nuwara Eliya. Much more to see/do from Ella, and the climate is more friendly in Ella.

Hans

North East England
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

Hi Hans

1. Didnt see any of Colombo last time out. Thought it may be an experience to see the capital and get a feel for the place. Suppose I could do it for just one night when we get there..... isnt there some interesting (Hindu) temples and some nice places to eat!?

2. I would be happy to base myself longer at Ella. Hadnt looked into it much and thought it would be easier to go to and from. Would that work out?

David

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

Hi David,

It's easier to get to the south coast from Ella than it is from Newara Eliya, therefore make more sense to continue from Newara Eliya , Adams peak if you decide on that and then to Ella and stay over there before heading for the coast.

Rod.

North East England
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

Hi Rod

Thanks for the feedback.....

If we are wanting a base in that area (for two nights) would it be okay to do so at Ella (and travel to Adams Peak etc on day trips?).

We could of course have a nights stay at each place but i was thinking it might not be a good idea to be moving suitcases all the time (im sure iread drivers are reluctant to take suitcases etc.).

last year we had a base at Negombo and then travelled for a few nights to kandy and sigiriya and then returned). Thought it might be better to have a similar set up?

Many thanks

David

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

Hi David,

Ela to Adams Peak is about 130 km - 4 hours drive, so IMO too far for a day trip.

Hans

North East England
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

agreed Hans

so it would be a case of staying someone close to Adams Peak before moving on to Ella!?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

Yes, I would go from Kandy to Adams Peak. Stay Slightly Chilled (http://www.slightlychilled.tv/) and then go to Ella.

Hans

Edited: 27 July 2010, 11:09
St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

Agree with Hans and would definitely stay over at Adams Peak before continuing to Ella. There's no problem moving your suitcases from place to place with a driver and most people on a tour do just that. Roads in Sri Lanka are quite slow so it makes perfect sense to stay where you want to go and avoid as much backtracking as possible. Also, it is fabulous watching Sri Pada (Adam's Peak) at all times of the day, watching the mist and cloud come and go, the sunlight hitting different parts of the mountain. It's a lovely spot. It's far easier to do this with a leisurely overnight stay than by trying to do a rushed visit in a day trip.

Sue

North East England
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

thanks sue, thats what i shall opt for......

any clues on how long it takes to get from ella to hikkaduwa (hikkaduwa is where we are based for the 2nd week) ?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Second Visit. 2 weeks. February

Ella to Hikkaduwa is about 6-7 hours by car/van.

Hans