We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knuckles range

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Topic
Knuckles range

I was thinking of visiting knuckles range after Kandy, but after reading a little about it can't figure out in which town to I stay to visit it. does any body know of a town close that has cheap accommodation?

Cambridge
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knuckles range

Suggest you obtain advice from a local travel agent. WAlkers tours is a good one and you should google for them.Knucles range is in the central hills and can be seen from many locations within that area. You can find nice holiday bunglows as well as conventional hotels in the central hill country. I am sure you will have a good time, best wishes

why are you particularly keen on the knucles?

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Knuckles range

thanx for the reply, but I'm not looking for a tour or an agent, but a place to stay. a town from which it will be reletively easy to hike in the knuckles range. as to why I'm interested in it, from the same reason anyone chooses to visit a place over another. it just seems like something I would like to do.

you don't know which town is closest to it?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,703 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knuckles range

There's no major towns with tourist acco near. On the Kandy side you might find the odd guesthouse in Digana or the borders of Lake Victoria, and on the eastern side Mahiyangana is the big town but hardly touristy...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Knuckles range

I'm not looking for touristy, just need a place to stay as close as possible for a cheap price

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Knuckles range

Hi Littlerunaway,

I've been into the Knuckles mountains four times and in those visits entered from three different directions.

I reckon the best road in is from Matale... I didn't stay at any guest houses there but there are a few listed in the lonely planet guidebook.

Also, when you drive into the Knuckles from Matale and you get past all the villages, as the little road winds up ever higher, the vista opens up with a big valley to your left , surrounded by mountains and on the left, clinging to the steep mountain face you'll see two small guest houses.

A fantastic place to stay for a day or two with views as good as or better than any others and great country for trekking all around.

We didn't stay there, just stopped off for a drink and to get rid of a couple of leeches that had grown attached to us further up the mountain.

I did decide , one day I'm going back to stay a few days but so far havn't managed to fit it in.

Another place that it would be so easy to miss unless you know it.

As you drive from the level up into the mountains, there are a few hairpin bends. On one, that turns left, in front of you as you turn through the corner are a couple of locals selling their garden produce.

Beside their little stall is a footpath. Park up and follow that footpath.It takes you to a small gorge with a river and a couple of water falls. Not huge, but in a beautiful situation. There's a big calm pool where the locals bathe and do their washing, then you walk over a suspension bridge and walk along the bank to the water falls where there's a beautiful swimming hole.

The water is a bit on the fresh side but it's the sort of place I could stay for a long time.

The Knuckles really is worth a visit . The scenery rivals any , anywhere in Sri Lanka and it's completely unspoiled. Very few people, amazing scenery and no little plastic bags strewn by the wayside which you get in most of Sri Lanka.

If you wanted a few pics, PM me your email address and I'll send some along.

Rod.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Knuckles range

I'm going there with public transport, not a car so I was hoping for names of places or atleast a town close by. is it even possible to get there with a bus?

Antarctica
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Knuckles range

The main entrances to the knuckles are from the Matale side (Riverston) as Rod said and from the Kandy side (Deanston). Closest towns ( very small towns though) are Rattota for the matale side and Hunnasgiriya for the Kandy side. You will find more or less regular transportation to these places from Kandy/Matale but from Rattota to Riverston and from Hunnsagiriya to Deanston/ Corbett gap there is very little public transport available which may be very intermittent. Also these are pretty vast areas and it's better to have a vehicle or a motorbike.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Knuckles range

a car or a bike is not an option. also don't want a private driver. I don't mind taking a tuk-tuk to the range. do you know of any accommodation options in Hunnasgiriya? can I turn up and find one when I'm there? or there are none at all?

thanx for the answer by the way, it was helpful

Antarctica
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Knuckles range

There are some accomadation options near corbett's gap even closer to the wilderness than Hunnasgiriya, but I don't have first hand experience of staying there. I'm not sure about Hunnasgiriya town itself.

http://www.corbetsview.com/trekking.htm

Also on the Matale side there are some small guest houses between Rattota and Riverston and one or 2 beyong riverston. I had stayed in one of them (with the link) some years ago but do not recommend it unless it has drastically improved. :-(

http://www.riverstonhotels.com/

All in all the accomodation options are very basic at best and awful at worst.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Knuckles range

if you are planning to go to Riversten or any hilly area .You need to take a exp driver with good vehicle.Tuk-tuk will find very difficult to climb up the hill.In Rivesten roads are narrow .Hardly there is a space for two vehicles to cross.And on top there is so much of fog .If you are 5m apart hardly you can see each other.