We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

Hello

I know I need to start doing my own research on a forthcoming holiday to Sri Lanka but would be grateful if anybody could help me so at least I'm starting to look in the right places.....

My friend and I (two women, mid thirties) would like to go on holiday to Sri Lanka for two weeks, flying out on approximately 28 December 2010.

We would like a holiday which is based on a lovely sandy beach. Maybe a few activities but apart from snorkelling (so a calm, walm sea) and a nice beach is all we're looking for at the moment.

I know with some places it is better to go all-inclusive. Is this the case with Sri Lanka? How do costs compare when eating in local restaurants or is this not really recommended in Sri Lanka? Any hygiene issues? (No offence intended by this comment.)

I would be grateful if anybody could let me know of the main resorts I should look at please where there are nice sandy beaches, a calm sea and hot, sunny, dry weather (late December to early January).

We are not travelling with any children so distance from the airport is not really a problem. So if it's worth travelling to a resort further away from the airport to go to a nicer place we'd be interested in hearing about those places too.

Thank you very much.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,991 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

Hi there,

Good candidate for a holiday!

1) The snorkeling areas in Lanka and the areas with AI hotels don't match, so you are 'forced' to go on HB basis at most. But the places (Hikkaduwa, Unuwatuna, Mirissa to name the main ones in this season) have lots of clean tourist restaurants also, you might also do BB basis.

2) Hikkaduwa is 4 hours from airport and then it's 1 hour to U. and another 45 mins to Mirissa. Closer places with lovely sandy beaches exist, e.g. Kalutara and Bentota, but they don't have coral reefs so no snorkelling.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

Thank you for your post above. I don't wish to give the impression that snorkelling is the absolute utmost importance .... it's something I like to do on holiday but am happy to give it a miss if there are beautiful sandy beaches in fantastic areas with a nice calm sea but with no snorkelling.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,991 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

Yes, Kalutara and Bentota. Respectively 90 and 60 mins from Hikkaduwa which is the closest snorkel spot, and hence also 90 and 60 mins closer to the airport. And both having AI hotels....

Won't be an easy choice, as you see ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

I tend to disagree on "beautiful sandy beaches" in Kalutara.

The beaches around Kalutara are rather narrow, quite steep and some of the sand is black. I went for wedding party in the area around Mermaid in Kalutara North and a homecoming party just south of Kani Lanka in Kalutara South last week.

The better beaches on west coast of Sri Lanka are from Bentota and further south.

Hans

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

I have a rather basic map of Sri Lanka .... so Hans are you suggesting a resort I can see called Galle?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,991 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

Hans is suggesting Bentota or anything south of it. The map should probably show Aluthgama which is about halfway Colombo and Galle. Bentota is 2 km south of that, so basically the southern half of the coast between the two towns (and anything east of Galle too, until about halfway to Hambantota because further east there's monsoon influence until March).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

During recent Ind-SL cricket match Tv crew went snorkeling in Trinco.They showed clips on Tv.It was nice.Even tourists were snorkeling there..

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

December-January is off-season (weather) on the east coast.

Hans

Antarctica
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

December- February is the best season for beaches in the south and west. The ones I personally find the most beautiful are Mirissa and Tangalle (different beaches on both sides of the town). Unawatuna, Hikkaduwa, Koggala, Ahungalla, Bentota/Beruwala, Weligama are also pretty nice with some resorts/ guest houses etc.

There are many other beautiful less famous places like Dikwella, Talalla, Dalawella, ahangama etc in the south coast.

The likes of negombo, Kalutara, Wadduwa, Mt Lavinia etc aren't too nice in my opinion.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sri Lanka - some help please with very basic questions

I would make Bentota your base as you can easly get to other places from there by bus pref the A/C bus which is faster. Bentota has a good beach and there are some nice resteraunts like the Golden Grill.And the Austrian rest on the river.