We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - part 3 of 3

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - part 3 of 3

We left the next morning and headed south, stopping at Ravana Ella (another beautiful waterfall) to take some photos. We made the long drive down winding paths and long straight roads once we were out of the hill country, before coming to our hotel, the Lake Side Inn in Tissamaharama. We went for a quick swim whilst our room was being readied, and then set off for an afternoon Safari at Yala. I had wanted to do it the following morning, but our schedule dictated that this was necessary. We had a fantastic driver, Dinesh, whose eye was razor sharp, and we saw lots of amazing wildlife. We didn’t see a leopard, but we didn’t go in thinking that it was make-or-break as I’m sure some people do. Animals are animals, and if they fancy keeping hidden in the jungle, then they will do.

From Tissa, we drove along the coast to Mirissa, stopping off at Matara for some lunch at Brown’s Beach Rest. The weather in Mirissa was overcast, and the sea was rough. The beach looked like it would be lovely in the sunshine, but unfortunately we didn’t see it in all its glory. We had been due to stay two nights in Mirissa, but Lucky suggested that we move on to Hikkaduwa the following day as there was more to do and since the sea was the only attraction in Mirissa, it being rough would leave us option-less. The room in Mirissa was adequate, nothing more, and the food was very nice indeed (although we were told what we were having for dinner rather than asked).

We moved on the following day to Hikkaduwa, stopping on the way in Galle to see the Dutch Fort and so that I could visit the cricket ground. We had been due to stay at Seethani Guest House, but Lucky said that he knew someone who had a place that could give us a room with air conditioning and could also do breakfast (Seethani was undergoing repairs and could give us a room but no a/c and provide no meals). We agreed, and it was a good thing we did. The place was the Hotel Lanka Supercorals, which was a cut above what we had been used to. The room was excellent; very clean, very spacious and with the first air conditioning unit of the holiday that worked perfectly. We immediately went down to the coral reef area of the beach, notorious for turtles, and sure enough we found ourselves standing in amongst a handful of them before long. We also saw many crabs and tropical fish, as well as finding some beautiful shells on the beach. We came back and rested before dinner, which we ate at the Farm House Restaurant (341, Galle Road; 091-2277082). The food was excellent – the best rice and curry of the holiday. Very impressive indeed.

We went for an early-morning walk on the beach, which was beautiful, much more so than Mirissa’s had been (granted, the sunshine helped a lot). We looked at the shells on the beach, which all then started to move thanks to the hermit crabs living inside them. We did some souvenir shopping and had lunch at the “No. 1 Roti Restaurant” (373, Galle Road; +94-91-4921540) which was absolutely brilliant. We had a swim in the hotel pool in the afternoon, and packed our bags in preparation for leaving. In the evening, we went to a restaurant called Blue Note, where we had comfortably the worst meal of the holiday. It was cooked badly, it tasted horrible, none of it was fresh, and Laura found two hairs in her meal. We were in there barely 25 minutes. We went to the Roti Restaurant to rescue our evening, which they did with another delicious meal.

We took full advantage of Supercorals’ amazing buffet breakfast, before leaving for Negombo. We drove through many of the resort towns which all looked lovely, and stopped at a Turtle Hatchery in Bentota South. The baby turtles were lovely, and the place seemed to be treating them very well. We drove on to Colombo, where we were shown through the centre of the city. The traffic increased and the driving became more erratic – it’s easy to see why tourists aren’t advised to drive in Sri Lanka. We took a detour so that I could see another cricket ground – the R. Premadasa Stadium – and drove through and out of the city, and on to Negombo. We stayed at the Ocean View Guest House, which was really lovely and was the first place on the holiday to have a cable TV in the bedroom, which was useful because England vs Pakistan from Lord’s was on! We ate dinner at the restaurant run by Lucky’s wife, Bolonghe’s Restaurant (186 Lewis Place) where the food was delicious.

The hotel needed the room by 12, so we packed up our bags and left them in the lobby whilst we went for a walk. We walked into the centre of Negombo, which was very interesting, and then took a tuk-tuk back to the hotel. We ate lunch at Japan Lanka, directly opposite our hotel, where the food was lovely. Lucky took us for a short tour of Negombo, encompassing the lagoon and the fish markets. We spent the afternoon watching the final of the cricket series at Lucky’s house, before he drove us to the airport for our evening flight. We saw lots of bats flying overhead as dusk fell on our way to the airport. We both thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Sri Lanka.

I hope that this has been useful and/or interesting to read. If anyone would like any further details of anything, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ash

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,518 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip report - part 3 of 3

I'm with you on that one Ash .. I like being hot too!

And thanks for the welcome back Dave. Indonesia was fascinating and very different to Sri Lanka but with equally friendly, lovely people. Wish I could swap places with you now, knowing your return to Sri Lanka is coming up soon (shhhh, no telling the exact date!!)

Sue

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip report - part 3 of 3

Hi Sue...

Yeah Shhhhhhhh, no one except me knows !, and want to keep it that way, will let you know in private message later ok, even a newspaper reporter tried to get it out of me last Friday, and he failed too, oh by the way, check my interview with Island newspapers out on FB, seems im quite famous down there now ^_^..

Regards

Dave

Edited: 06 September 2010, 16:28
Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
126 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip report - part 3 of 3

Going to Sri Lanka in April. Please give some contacts of good drivers.

Thank you in advance

Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip report - part 3 of 3

helo!

tnx for this diary... can you please tell us, how much you gave for that trip... for all..

tnx again

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip report - part 3 of 3

Hi,

The price Lucky quoted to us included transport in his air-conditioned van for 12 days including pickup and dropoff at the airport, all petrol and expenses, our accommodation costs, his accommodation and food, and all taxes and charges. It covered 2 people. For all of this, we paid £650 (i.e. £325 per person), leaving us only to cover two or three dinners out, lunch when we felt like it, drinks with our dinners at each of our hotels, and anything else we wanted. We both vastly overestimated what we needed to take, and both came back with quite a large percentage of our spending money.

Ash

Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Trip report - part 3 of 3

oh, that is really good price... :-) and how much trip cost, you deal before you go to sri lanka or than? becouse I would like to know the price befor I make the decision, that go with him... :-)

tnx again, you are really nice, that share your experience with us...

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Trip report - part 3 of 3

Hi,

We agreed the price before the trip. The exchange rate fluctuations meant that the price increased a couple of months before we left, but when we got there the rate was better and the price dropped again. This is what happens if you agree the price in your own currency rather than the local currency.

All the best,

Ash

18. Re: Trip report - part 3 of 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 06:16