We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warnings

West Midlands
Level Contributor
336 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Warnings

We were seriously considering a holiday to Sri Lanka next year but then, foolishly I suppose, we looked at the Foreign Office warnings and it has put us off. Should we be put off and have any of you frequent visitors had any problems when tavelling around. I know that the situation with the Tamils has now been resolved,

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warnings

Since the end of the conflict Sri Lanka has become safer than ever for tourists. In fact, it was never that dangerous anyway because tourism and tourists were never targetted. As far as the Foreign Office website is concerned, advice often lags behind the reality of the situation and over caution is the name of the game.

Obviously tourists are not recommended to go to former war zones because of possible land mines but these place are not on the tourist trail.

Sri Lanka is now probably a good deal safer, from a terrorism point of view, than many places in Europe. I have been twice since the end of the war and have more than twenty years experience of Sri Lanka and in my opinion, you should have no worries on this front. Of course, exercise the usual precautions, as you would in any unknown country but it looks as though you are already doing that by getting as much information as you can.

David.

Edited: 04 September 2010, 13:38
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warnings

Hi,

What exactly did you read on UK FCO website that put you off?

I have just come back from another month in Sri Lanka - 48 visits over more than 30 years, 4th visit after the conflict ended in May 2009 - and I never felt that there was any risk to my safety.

Hans

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warnings

David's advice is is right as usual. I have been travelling to and around Sri Lanka for 40 years - ie during the hostilities and since the end despite similar travel warnings. Yes, on one trip we seemed to be just ahead of bombings, sometimes by only a couple of hours, in Kandy, Galle and a suburban shopping centre. That is not the situation now. I think that Sri Lanka is equally as safe as most places and safer than some right now. As for the situation with the Tamils being resolved - Militarily maybe but actually not,

If you read the JBRs you will see that many people have a great time holidaying in Sri Lanka and not one that I have read even hints at safety problems. It is a great place to holiday in with many different things to see, do and learn all within a fairly small area, relatively.

All the best for your decision

Archi

West Midlands
Level Contributor
336 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warnings

Thanks for all that. I suppose I've never taken a holiday quite like this before so am a bit wary. We have done lots of independant holidays to Caribbean and Europe and you're right if you read reviews and warnings for places and made decisions based on just those you would never go anywhere. I live near Birmingham in England and there have been shootings in some areas, usually gang related but I wouldn't think twice about going into the city.

Thanks for putting things into perspective.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,086 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warnings

As a lover of Sri Lanka, I really wanted to add my 2 cents worth and say that I absolutely agree with the others regarding safety in that beautiful country. Never once did we feel uneasy and were comfortable to wander around at night also, which is something I'd never do at home.

My boss was horrified when I told him we were going to S.L., but guess who got mugged in London?

As Archi says, there are many wonderful things to see and do there to suit all interests. Wild life, jungle, beaches, ancient ruins, waterfalls, lovely people. . . . I could go on and on.

Travelkat

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warnings

Hi ,having visited Sri Lanka several times and also been lucky enough to visit over a dozen different carribean islands, when it comes to safety there is no comparrison for me,Sri Lanka is much safer than a lot of the carribean islands. I am returning to the Carribean on a cruise in January,i love the islands but some of them can be dangerous if you wander into the wrong areas,much like England really.

If i was you i wouldnt hesitate to book a holiday to SL,its very safe,the people are beautiful and the island is full of historic sights,wonderful beaches and stunning countryside. Dave.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
325 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warnings

My 2 cents worth as well...

The link below is from one of my previous posts in early August.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10892057

I would feel much safer in Sri Lanka than walking in certain streets of Los Angeles, even in daylight! Using common sense in any part of the world will certainly keep you safe.

Robbie

8. Re: Warnings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 06:47