We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from kandy to kitulgala amongst other things!

travellingphysio
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
transport from kandy to kitulgala amongst other things!

Hi

A friend and I (both females aged 25) are going to Sri Lanka in 10 days time. We havent really planned an itinerary and are planning to just get there are go with the flow. We will be there for around 10 days. I have a few questions:

1. Having read a lot of posts on here it sounds like most people arraneg a tour with a driver. Is it "doable" to just travel around on public transport?

2. Can somebody advise on how to get to kitulgala from Kandy?

3. We would like to do some snorkelling if possible but it seems from what people have said that you can only do that on the East coast at this time of year. Is that true or is there anywhere on the South coast? Just think it might take a long time to get across to East.

Places we want to visit are Kandy, Kitulgala, Ella, Galle, Sinharaja National Park and somewhere with a nice beack to swim/snorkel.

Is it realistic that we will be able to do this on public transport and arrange it as we go??

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,064 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from kandy to kitulgala amongst other things!

Hi there,

1) Public transport takes 20%n longer than car IF there is a direct link and 50-100% longer if you need transfers. Hence the car preferen ce.

2) Looks like 2 buses, first Kandy-Hatton and then an Avissawella bus exiting at K''gala. Car would be 2-3 hours and bus about 5 hours.

3) Southwest has a few reefs, but the problem with snorkeling there in this season is that the strong currents sweep a bit over the reefs and stir up the sand. So maybe 20-40% chance that there is something to see, eastcoast would be 100%.

4) Places look JUST feasible in 10 days, but tight. Sinharaja probably better planned between Kitulgala and Ella. And only when south coast for swim/snorkel, e.g. Mirissa or Tangalle.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from kandy to kitulgala amongst other things!

Hi, the way I usually go to Kitulgala from kandy.

Train from Kandy station at about 08:20. That train will take you the 7 kilometres or so ride to Peradeniya station where you have to change.

A wait of a few minutes and then the train you want will stop there.

Stay on that train to Hatton and get off there. Come out of Hatton station, turn left and walk down the main street. About 400 metres you'll see the main bus stand on the left.

As Erik has said, The Avissawella bus will drop you in Kitulgala.

If it's a white water rafting trip,, a couple of trips ago, I made a point of asking around different prices being charged by different people.

Some were trying to charge up to 5000 rupees a person. We paid 1500 per person with the Adventure base Camp.. It's a beautiful place right on the river bank almost hanging out over one of the sets of rapids.. very basic accomodation but clean , friendly and a limited but cheap and excellent menu.

It's on the left about 2 miles before the bus gets into Kitulgala town.

Rod.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
9 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from kandy to kitulgala amongst other things!

I'm a Sri Lankan travel journalist and I'll highly recommend you doing white-water rafting and canyoning with Borderlands. It's really worth it for Rs.3500 (including lunch) and whole load of fun! Canyoning in Kithulgala (known as canyoneering in the U.S.) is sliding down rocks and falling into rock pools which is so awesome! As much as I see plenty of publicity done by Rod_B for Adventure Base Camp, there are many more than what I mentioned (Borderlands) who do white-water rafting such as Action Lanka, some local guys called Upul and Priyantha. However, Borderlands has got the best safety equipment and are the only providers of the canyoning experience! :)

Antarctica
Level Contributor
505 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from kandy to kitulgala amongst other things!

Hi,

Just to add a small correction, you don't need to go to Hatton to go from Kandy to Kitulgala. The turn of is 20km before hatton at a town called ginigathhena. (if you go to Hatton you are travelling an extra 40km for nothing) If going by bus, get a Hatton bus and get off at Ginigathhena and get on an awissawella/colombo bound bus from there (It's only 10km or so further to kitulgala)

If going by train you can get off at either watawala or nawalapitiya. But getting a train from kandy to just nawalapitiya is a waste because there is no special scenery on that stretch. If you want to combine a scenic train journey as well while going to kitulgala, then by all means you can go all the way to hatton by train. But certainly no use if you go by a car or by bus.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport from kandy to kitulgala amongst other things!

Hi Scooby

Yes, that is just what we did ... we changed at Ginigathena but it would probably be a lot quicker to just get a tuk tuk than wait for a bus for the last bit as it isn't far to Kitulgala from there. I didn't reply to this post because I saw that the OP was doing the journey two months ago ... but hopefully it will be useful information for anyone doing the trip in future!

Looking at their programme, the more obvious route would have been to go on to Ella after Kandy by train, and then after that, take the train again from Ella to Hatton before getting the Colombo bound bus from there .. which would pass through Kitulgala.

Sue

travellingphysio
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport from kandy to kitulgala amongst other things!

As the last poster has realised we actually did this trip in September. Thnks for the advise though....it was all very useful.

We caught the train from Kandy to Nawalapitiya and then actually got a tuk tuk from there to Kitulgala which was not that far....although it was pouring with rain! I would recommend this to others rather than going all the way to Hatton and then back on yourself.

We had a fantastic trip. Will put some reviews up of the places we stayed.

7. Re: transport from kandy to kitulgala amongst other things!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2011, 06:41