We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Topic
weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

Will be in Colombo 1st week of November. What's the weather like? Will travel to Kandi and the hillside areas like Nuwara Elya, Ella....Please recommend best place to stay.

Thanks!

Ash

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

Hi Ash,

1st week of November Colombo will be in intermonsoon season with quite unsettled weather.

You may experience 3 types of days:

- Fully clouded with the odd shower, light or heavy

- 3-4 hours sunshine after 8 am and clouds building up in the afternoon with hefty thundershowers late afternoon, evening and night

- sun-clouds-rain-sun again and so on with the sunny spells lasting at least an hour and minimum 4 hours per day.

Your budget will help for recommending accomodation Kandy and Ella.

Hans

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

Hi Hans

Many thanks for your swift reply. Hope my trip will be memorable despite the erratic weather.

Ash

Colombo
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

You can get a great view of the way to Kandy if you can book the Observations Desk in the early morning Colombo_Kandy Express Train.

If you can spend LKR 10,000/- to 17,000/- per night, Good Hotels ; Amaya Hills Kandy (near to Tooth Relic Temple and Kandy City Centre), Hunnas Falls hotel (About 1 hr from Kandy) which is a nice relaxing hotel with a great view.

You can take a van hire from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya (About 1-2 Hrs) and Grand Hotel, St. Andrews are few good hotels there. You can hire a vehicle from Nuwara eliya and see the Hakkgala Botanic Gardens, Gregory Lake and other attractions.

Waterfalls around Nuwara eliya and Badulla Areas, World End Horton Plains might be few other things to add to your itinerary.

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

Thanks very much for your reply! We are arriving at 8, ish in the morning (Nov) and plan to stay a day in Colombo. Off to Kandy first thing next morning.

If we can't get tickets on the observation deck(as you need at least 10 days to book, if I read correctly), will 1st / 2nd class be good enough. We fancy the train rather car, but will that take too long to reach Kandy. We want to experince the scenic journey.

From Kandy, another train ride to Nuwara Eliya en route Ella (if thats correct). Sue, one of our experts recommends we skip Nuwara Eliya and head to Ella. We'd like to stay at Tea Garden.

Can we take tuk tuk to station in Kandy and are tickets easy to get?. Please help with best way to travel, affordable both transportation & accomodation as we'd like to make the most of our 6 days. WE plan to spend another day/night in Colombo before heading back to Kuala Lumpur.

Many thanks!

Ash

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

Hi Ash,

I actually prefer 2nd class to the 1st class observation car. 1st class it's billed as but thats a bit of an exaggeration. I've been in there when the air-con or fans didn't work and the main window, which only looks backward down the track was so cracked and dirty you couldn't see much anyway.

I'd much rather be in 2nd class , mixing with and enjoying the company of the local people, trying the wares of the wadiwadiman and listening to the buskers. Although there doesn't seem to be so many entertainers getting on the trains recently. Perhaps they've been stopped.

Try to get a window seat on the right hand side of the train going up to Kandy. The best views are that side.

Which ever time train you get, do check the destination as most don't go to Kandy. They'll sell tyou a Kandy Ticket but the train stops at Peradeniya station, about 7 kilometres outside of Kandy city. From there, you need to get a shuttle train into Kandy, a tuk tuk, taxi or bus.

I agree with Sue about skipping Newara Eliya or at least only allocating a couple of hours there.

For your ride on the mountain train, just walk into Kandy station about twenty minutes before the train is due and buy your tickets. No problem.

One train leaves Kandy station at about 08:20 and takes you to Peradeniya station where you change to the Badulla ( hill country ) train.

I've also stayed in the Tea Garden at Ella. I like it there, especially in one of the two top rooms..They have a huge wrap around balcony where you can sit, enjoying a cold drink and enjoy fantastic views.

Rod.

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

Hi Rod

Many thanks for sharing that. Hope the weather will be on our side.

Ash

7. Re: weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 15:34
Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

hi Ahsan

Many thanks for sharing that. I am considering Thilanka. WHat do you think?

Ash

9. Re: weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2010, 02:40
Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: weather early Nov, where to stay in Kandi and Ella

hello All

This is my planned itinerary. Appreciate your input if its do able, manageable/make sense;

Day 1 - Arrival in Colombo at 8,ish a.m (1 night in Colombo)

Day 2 - Morning train to Kandy

Day 3 - Kandy (2 nights in Kandy)

Day 4 - Train/car to Nuwara Eliya en route to Ella (1 night in Ella)

Day 5 - Leave Ella for Kandy (1 night in Kandy)

Day 6 - Leave Kandy (in the a.m) for Colombo

Day 7 - Home sweet home (in the a.m)

Manyh thanks!

Ash