We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains

Rushden, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trains

I could do with some help regarding planning our 3rd visit next July.This time we want to be a bit more adventurous and use local transport more.Our plans are by no means final at the moment apart from starting and ending at Ranweli.

We would then like to travel by train from Colombo to Matara with the aim of getting to Tangelle.After that we would like to find somewhere in Haputale.Would it be easier to find a driver to take us there?

After that we want to go to Trincomalee.I would like to know where you get the train from and how long the journey is.

Finally and I don't know if it is possible,we would like to get to Jaffna.I understand the security situation but would still be interested in getting there if possible.Can this be done from the east or do you have to go from Colombo?

I would be grateful for any help.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains

Hi,

There will be interruptions on Colombo-Matara line next year. They started redoing the tracks and signal systems in August. Matara-Galle is expected to finish by end of the year. Then comes Galle-Aluthgama, which will last another 5-6 months. Finally Aluthgama-Colombo for 5-6 months.

There are no direct trains from Tangalle to Haputale, but there are buses. Yes, it would be easier to hire a driver.

The railway line to Jaffna has not yet been restored, and will likely not be by July 2011. At the moment you can go a bit past Vavuniya.

You can find timetable and a map of the railway network here:

http://www.railway.gov.lk/index.php

Hans

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains

When in Haputale, try to stay at Airie Cottage. The best view ever!

http://www.kelburnemountainview.com/

Rushden, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains

Do you know the rates to stay there.It looks lovely

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains

A quick question, do the majority of ticket sellers at stations such as Hikkaduwa, Galle etc down the South West coast speak English ?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains

Yes, they do.

Hans

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains

I will call them today and get back to you. I assume you will pay in USD.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains

17,000 Sri Lankan Rupees for Airie Cottage (1 USD is = Rs. 176 as at today). Comes to about USD 100 a night for the bungalow. Food will be charged separately. Book early - maybe already to late! Weekeneds and long weekends are booked most of the time! See the reviews on trip advisor as well.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1073495-d72978…

Rushden, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains

Thank you for the information.I will have to think about the price as it is quite a lot.But it is useful to know and I will certainly consider it.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains

1 USD is = Rs. 176 as at today

----------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately not the case.

USD 1 = approx. LKR 110

GBP 1 = approx. LKR 173

Hans

10. Re: Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 07:16